If found, return my Sansa

I want to be able to add my “if found” info to the device.  Should be pass protected and not eraseable without the code.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike -

You actually can do this already. I’ve done it. I have a small picture of myself that I loaded into the PHOTOS folder. In Paint Shop Pro (you could use PhotoShop, Gimp, whatever you have) I created a .jpg with a plain white background and added the text:

If Found, Please call [My Name]

at (XXX) XXX-XXXX

I really, really would like it back!

THANK YOU !!!

and added that to the PHOTOS folder too (Make sure you size it down pretty small, or you can use the Sansa Media Converter to do it for you; it will also change it to .bmp format). Now, somebody who knows about these players will know enough to go in & erase these two identifying pictures, but if they’re a mind to keep it, you can’t stop them. Thankfully, there are still some honest people in this world who would call you & return it. :smiley:

I suppose you could try setting the attribute to ‘hidden’ on these and they’d be harder to find & delete. But I haven’t figured a way to password-protect them though.

Message Edited by Tapeworm on 09-29-2008 05:37 PM

Good idea!  You are right, can’t make em honest if they aren’t already.  But there are some “on the fence” who may be swayed by the possible embarassment of a friend or family member picking it up and saying “who is this Crustyvet guy?” 

Until then, I’ll go with your idea(and my trusty Brother Label Maker.)

Thanks,

Mike

Many who find a lost Fuze won’t even know how to turn it on, or think to look at all the photos for owner info. A better idea is just a piece of masking tape on the back of the player with your phone number on it. If someone wants to return it, they now have a choice to do so.

But if your player is say, stolen and then somehow re-covered by police, you can at least show them that it most likely belongs to you. Why else would it have a picture of you and your phone number in it?

How about having it written to the ROM, so that when you start the player, the startup screen says Sandisk  then the blue sansa AND “Property of yada yada” , or “This Sansa belongs to yada yada” 

I think I like this one

Mike

Masking tape? Are you serious?  Over the Brother Label Maker?  To each their own I suppose.

How about lo jack with gps tracking and remote disable with 110 decibel alarm?

Kidding

mike

Most people don’t have a label maker. Of course if one has a label maker, a label would be better.

Sorry, my attempt at humor.  No offense intended.  BTW you can find pretty good label makers for around $10.  Love mine, use it on nearly everything.

Mike

@crustyvet wrote:

How about having it written to the ROM, so that when you start the player, the startup screen says Sandisk  then the blue sansa AND “Property of yada yada” , or “This Sansa belongs to yada yada” 

I think I like this one

Mike

I think Crusty needs to switch to de-caf. :smileyvery-happy:

(yelling) WHAT DO YOU MEAN?  ME? HIGH STRUNG?  Ha!  You’re probably right about the decaf.

You gotta admit, it would be cool to have your contact info come up on the welcome screen.   Not one of my top priorities for this thing by any means.  Just a “nice to have”,“cool factor” booster.

I think my top improvements would be cueing, onboard playlist editing and crossfade.  Oh and embedded album art support.(had to throw that on in there)snicker

red bull anyone,

Mike