ID3 V2.4 Track Ordering Bug

The clip has a track ordering bug with ID3 V2.4 tags (I have no other tag format in use, so don’t know)

My tracks are tagged with TRCK frames containing

“1/12”, “2/12” … “10/12”, “11/12”, “12/12”

The clip seems to make a simple string compare for sorting

leading to

which is obviosly incorrect.

Message Edited by lazka on 08-14-2009 11:16 AM

What is the firmware of you sansa Clip? You might need to update your firmware  and if you can try to edit the ID3 tags to according to the sequence you would like by changing the title. :wink:

Sansa Clip firmware update;

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/300/kw/sansa%20clip%20firmware%20update/r_id/101834 

Use leading zeroes (“01”, “02”, etc.) to make all the track numbers the same length.

You might also change the ID3 tags to v2.3 ISO 8859-1, as that’s the version most compatible with Sansas.

I routinely use leading zeros to avoid this issue, which is fairly common on DAPs as a whole.

@miikerman wrote:
I routinely use leading zeros to avoid this issue, which is fairly common on DAPs as a whole.

MP3Tag to the rescue!!

I started using leading zeros, but they aren’t needed, all my albums sequence fine. Tags are either obtained from an on line database when ripping or added using mp3tag. Maybe it depends on who is doing the tagging. The on line data base does not use a leading zero. You can’t go wrong using a leading zero though if you do your own tagging.

I should have added the tags are ID3v2.3&ID3v1.1. I don’t quite know why mp3taq puts in the double standard, I would have thought a later version would automatically conver the earlier one. Also, on a ripped cd, APEv2 is also shown in addition to the IDv tags. Again, I don’t know the difference and to tell the truth don’t really care.

It has the latest firmware.

So you mean that the clip doesn’t support a tagging format which was introduced on the 1. November 2000… more than 9 years ago?

No idea. Use mp3tag to rewrite track numbers and update tag version. You adjust which tag type you wish to read and write under tools/options. Leaving at default should work ok.

Another workaround, instead of adding the leading zeroes or dropping to ID3v2.3, is to drop the total number off the TRCK frame. I just did an experiment, and it failed on “1/12” style tags, but succeeded on “01/12” and “1” formatted tags.

Obviously, until there’s a firmware update, this workaround will be necessary, but depending on the tag editor in use, it can be easier to strip the track total instead of padding with zeroes or changing the ID3 version.

Message Edited by jleedev on 03-09-2010 01:51 AM

jleedev wrote:

Another workaround, instead of adding the leading zeroes or dropping to ID3v2.3, is to drop the total number off the TRCK frame. I just did an experiment, and it failed on “1/12” style tags, but succeeded on “01/12” and “1” formatted tags.

Obviously, until there’s a firmware update , this workaround will be necessary, but depending on the tag editor in use, it can be easier to strip the track total instead of padding with zeroes or changing the ID3 version.

Message Edited by jleedev on 03-09-2010 01:51 AM

Assuming there is one…