I used my fiio e5 amp with 8 ohm speakers by accident. am i screwed?

Cause according to the specs you aren’t supposed to use them with anything lower then 16 ohm head/ear phones/iems/speakers/etc. Well I didn’t know and hooked it up with my 8gb fuze to a 2002 or so model sanyo receiver/system (three cd changer, eq settings, etc.) and i have two 80’s sony speakers hooked up that are 8 ohm.

I had it hooked up for four hours. The sound seems to be a little crappier then before. But I can’t really tell a difference between the amped phones (using as20j sony earphones) and the fuze sound itself.

Is it more likely i damaged the fuze or the fiio? Hopefully the fiio as that is still under warranty. Thanks.

Volume on my stereo was about 75%, the fiio e5 was at about 80 or 90 percent, and the fuze was at 66%.

@tmansdc wrote:

Cause according to the specs you aren’t supposed to use them with anything lower then 16 ohm head/ear phones/iems/speakers/etc. Well I didn’t know and hooked it up with my 8gb fuze to a 2002 or so model sanyo receiver/system (three cd changer, eq settings, etc.) and i have two 80’s sony speakers hooked up that are 8 ohm.

I had it hooked up for four hours. The sound seems to be a little crappier then before. But I can’t really tell a difference between the amped phones (using as20j sony earphones) and the fuze sound itself.

Is it more likely i damaged the fuze or the fiio? Hopefully the fiio as that is still under warranty. Thanks.

Volume on my stereo was about 75%, the fiio e5 was at about 80 or 90 percent, and the fuze was at 66%.

It should be fine. The speakers were hooked to the stereo, not directly to the FiiO. But using the FiiO E5 with the Fuze, the Fuze volume should be higher, like 90%, and the E5 volume lower, so your volume adjustment is done with the E5. However, it’s silly to use the E5 if you’re connecting to the stereo, the stereo has it’s own amp. When connecting to a stereo, the Fuze should also be turned way up, with no EQ. You probably did no damage to anything, but for better results, try it the way I described here. :wink:

i always try to leave the fuze on at only 70% or lower cause of battery life, etc.

Plus don’t most dap’s have a chance of amp overload or something if its turned up all the way? And I did hear a bit more detail with the e5 amp hooked up to it so if it didn’t damage it i’m good. And wouldn’t the soundstage/clarity/transparency/etc. get lowered the higher the volume is?

I’m a tad new to this whole dap/audiophile/earphone/headphone/etc. stuff so bear with me.

@tmansdc wrote:

i always try to leave the fuze on at only 70% or lower cause of battery life, etc.

Plus don’t most dap’s have a chance of amp overload or something if its turned up all the way? And I did hear a bit more detail with the e5 amp hooked up to it so if it didn’t damage it i’m good. And wouldn’t the soundstage/clarity/transparency/etc. get lowered the higher the volume is?

I’m a tad new to this whole dap/audiophile/earphone/headphone/etc. stuff so bear with me.

If you are hooking the Fuze up to a stereo, you should just get a wall charger and plug it in. I have done that with mine for whole afternoons before, with the Fuze up to 100% volume…didn’t hurt the Fuze at all. Now using it on the go with the E5, how long are you away from a power source? Another reason to get a wall charger…you’re not required to be near a computer to recharge. As long as your music files are decent quality, it won’t distort or overload the Fuze’s internal power having it turned up. Just recharge frequently and you shouldn’t ever run dry when you’re not home.

Well I connected the fuze to the fiio e5 then used a 3.5m to rca audio input to the sanyo stereo. Still would there be a problem?

And I do have a wall charger. It will still allow you to browse/use unlike being hooked up by usb? Would there be an sq difference?

And I still a bass boost when i set the e5 in bass boost mode. Would that be a problem? Does that mean it still works?

Well the only headphones i use are mdr-v150, mdr-as20j, and ksc75 so i guess an amp wasn’t necessary. lol.

@tmansdc wrote:
Well the only headphones i use are mdr-v150, mdr-as20j, and ksc75 so i guess an amp wasn’t necessary. lol.

Well, as you read in the other forum, like I said here, the E5 doesn’t need to be involved when you use your stereo. I have the V150’s, and they don’t need an amp. the KSC75’s do benefit from the E5, I think. I almost always use my FiiO’s with my KSC75’s.