How much have you used?

@bdb wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

Why would you convert MP3 to Vorbis? You do know that lossy format to lossy format = more loss, right?

I do it because I have some music that was purchased in MP3, but Vorbis is a better codec so I can get fairly equal sound for less space (using a lower bitrate, of course).  I used to hand out the same advice about never transcoding, but after hearing several transcodes I realized that it just wasn’t really noticeable. These codecs aren’t just doing random compression, they’re compressing based on what is most likely going to be audible…and much of that will likely be the same with different codecs.

Everything I have heard and/or read agreeswith what you and Hazza(and I think fuze owner GB) have said about Vorbis being a better codec. I tried doing comparisons for myself, but given my ears and what they’ve been through over the years, and the various headphones I was using when I tried it, I couldn’t be sure if it was placebo or not. I do like the idea of the open source format though.

Message Edited by Marvin_Martian on 01-25-2009 01:26 AM

Message Edited by Marvin_Martian on 01-25-2009 01:27 AM

2 GB version   1.3 GB free

4 GB external   24 MB free

757 tracks

@marvin_martian wrote:

@bdb wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

Why would you convert MP3 to Vorbis? You do know that lossy format to lossy format = more loss, right?

I do it because I have some music that was purchased in MP3, but Vorbis is a better codec so I can get fairly equal sound for less space (using a lower bitrate, of course).  I used to hand out the same advice about never transcoding, but after hearing several transcodes I realized that it just wasn’t really noticeable. These codecs aren’t just doing random compression, they’re compressing based on what is most likely going to be audible…and much of that will likely be the same with different codecs.

Everything I have heard and/or read agreeswith what you and Hazza(and I think fuze owner GB) have said about Vorbis being a better codec. I tried doing comparisons for myself, but given my ears and what they’ve been through over the years, and the various headphones I was using when I tried it, I couldn’t be sure if it was placebo or not. I do like the idea of the open source format though.

Message Edited by Marvin_Martian on 01-25-2009 01:26 AM

Message Edited by Marvin_Martian on 01-25-2009 01:27 AM

Yup… Ogg Vorbis is definitely better.  Try it; you’ll like it…:smileyvery-happy:

4 gigs internal, 8 external

1.3 free intern, 3.2 free ex

Would have less free but I delete movies and shows as I go along. Rest is MP3’s or FLAC’s of various music.