How do I return a faulty player under warranty?

I received a 4GB Sansa Fuze for Christmas, item #BH0910BMUK.
When I plug it into my computer the music player begins charging and shows
the connected screen, but the computer does not recognize that anything has
been plugged in.

I’m running Windows XP Service Pack 3, and my computer
exceeds all the recommended system requirements. I went through all of the
solutions listed on the support page with no success. I set the player to
MSC mode, refreshed the drivers, manually added the hardware driver, checked
the user restrictions, and downloaded the MTP porting kit. I also tried
plugging the player into a different computer and had the same results.

Wiggling the cord has made the computer recognize the player a couple times,
but not for more than 15 seconds. I think I might have a faulty cable?

I emailed support@sandisk.com looking for further solutions and/or to send the player in for repair/replacement, and got the following response: “SanDisk does not provide warranty repair services nor sell replacement parts. However, you can purchase a replacement USB cable from the link that I have provided on my last email. You may also try to contact Bestbuy for a possible replacement of the cable since it is newly purchased. Kindly inform us if you are unable to get a replacement from the place of purchase.”

That just doesn’t seem right. The website and the insert that came with the player both say there’s a 1 year warranty against defects. I’m not going to spend money ordering a replacement part that may or may not solve the problem for something that didn’t work brand new out of the box. Since it was a gift from a person who lives in another state I have a scanned copy of the receipt but not the original, so returning it to where it was purchased won’t work.

Anyone have any more troubleshooting advice for the technical problem? Or advice on how to get an RMA to send it back under warranty?  

Thanks a lot,

Kathleen Hiigel

this is the exact same problem i am having with my 8gb sansa fuze that i got for Christmas, item #B10908BMTK.

same situation even i have tried everything. I agree that this doesn’t seem right that replaceing the cord isn’t covered.

anyone have a solution yet?

Your best bet when it comes to things that don’t work is the retailer. The manufacturer don’t usually deal with end-users–that’s why retailers exist–and customer support can be less than satisfying.

It’s a rule-of-thumb for retailers’ return policy that things bought for Xmas season have an extended return policy, usually until end of Jan of following year. You said you have a copy of receipt, then you should call (or better, go in person) to a store and explain your situation. If customer service is unresponsive, then ask to talk to the manager. I don’t see why you can’t return it.

Even if not, I don’t see why you can’t get the original receipt mailed to you to get it returned. If you want to place the onus on the manufacturer’s customer service, then your chance of being satisfied is a notch lower. That’s how the system works. Still, call up the Sandisk number and talk to somebody voice, rather than relying on e-mail. Again, escalate it if you need to, but be firm and polite throughout.

About the issue proper, the Sandisk-supplied cable is pretty darn robust. It may be the problem, but of all the things that can go wrong, it’s pretty low on the totem pole. If connection is the issue, it’s more likely the USB port in the computer. Most computers’ front-facing USB ports have extended wiring from the mainboard, and sometimes the connection isn’t the most reliable.

Make sure the player is in MSC mode, and try different USB ports (ones in the back of the PC). Try different computers. In MSC mode, the Fuze is just like a thumb drive, and should pop up in Explorer. Another way to eliminate the computer as the problem is to plug in a thumb drive, which should be recognized.

Anyway, once you determine that it’s not the computer and is indeed the cable or the player, then go through the return process.

I would just return it to the shop you bought it from and ask a replacement (or get them to fix it).

I don’t know how things are over there, but here the retailer is responsible for warranty at least the first year after purchase. Like TomJensen says, manufacturers are not set up to deal with end-users. They are however used to deal with retailers.

Good luck.

The OP has tried various computers and modes, and the retailer is in another state.

The OP also wrote that it’s charging.

I would suspect a defective cable–the charging pins are making the connection, the data pins aren’t.

And it seems that SanDisk is telling you the same thing. 

“You may also try to contact Bestbuy for a possible replacement of the cable since it is newly purchased. Kindly inform us if you are unable to get a replacement from the place of purchase.”

They are saying that if you can’t get satisfaction from Best Buy, to go back to SanDisk. Since it is a chain, and you do have the receipt–scanned or not, it should be in Best Buy’s system–then Best Buy should supply the cable. Or at least, at their store, let you try to connect with another cable. And if that connection doesn’t go through, they’d have to accept a return on a defective unit. 

If for some reason there is no Best Buy within your driving radius, while it seems like a horrible capitulation to the forces of greed and low-quality manufacturing, the best use of your time would probably be to get a replacement cable and try it. If you know anyone with a Sansa E200, it’s the same cable as the Fuze, so you could borrow it for the experiment. 

Otherwise, you can find generic ones on eBay and Amazon, or from cell-phone accessory sellers, for under $5. I have two different ones and both work fine, so you don’t need the overpriced SanDisk cable. Search for Fuze USB Sync Cable or E200 USB Cable.

I fully agree that SanDisk should cover the cable in the warranty–and that “kindly inform us” suggests it will if you push a little. But if not, given all the time and effort already expended, it’s worth a few bucks to try what might actually work. 

For what it’s worth, telephone support (1-866-SANDISK) is a lot more responsive than the email. 

Another solution is that since you have the Best Buy receipt, you should be able to take the thing back to another store in the chain, just say it doesn’t work without further explanation, and do an exchange. A working Fuze is a nifty little player, but I wouldn’t blame you if you went to another brand. 

Message Edited by Black-Rectangle on 01-09-2010 08:18 AM

I’d advide you to send them an email like this… they cant exactly say no…

Its to the point and lets them know you’re not gona go away easily.

Item Model Number:  ******

Hello

I would like to be issued with an RMA number to return this item to you for replacement/repair, under the SanDisk Manufacturer’s Limited Warranty (as set out in this document: http://www.sandisk.com/media/147585/smlw_eng.pdf))

Please provide an address to sent the item to.

I will include proof of purchase when sending the item.

Regards,

I would like this dealt with as quickly as possible. I would like to remind you that my statutory rights affirm that I am NOT required to return the faulty device to company I purchased it from. I CHOOSE to return it under the warranty you provide.

@johnie89 wrote:

I’d advide you to send them an email like this… they cant exactly say no…

Its to the point and lets them know you’re not gona go away easily.

Item Model Number:  ******

Hello

I would like to be issued with an RMA number to return this item to you for replacement/repair, under the SanDisk Manufacturer’s Limited Warranty (as set out in this document: http://www.sandisk.com/media/147585/smlw_eng.pdf))

Please provide an address to sent the item to.

I will include proof of purchase when sending the item.

Regards,

I would like this dealt with as quickly as possible. I would like to remind you that my statutory rights affirm that I am NOT required to return the faulty device to company I purchased it from. I CHOOSE to return it under the warranty you provide.

Sure they can. You haven’t told them what the problem is, and they haven’t had the opportunity to diagnose and/or determine that the problem is a manufacturer’s defect. Their statutory rights affirm that they decide what is returnable under the warranty they provide.

That’s another good reason to call instead of e-mailing. You can get all of this taken care of in 1 phone call (albeit a possibly long one). The other way could be weeks e-mailing back and forth.