How can I create a playlist without WMP?

How can I create a playlist without WMP with the files stored in my sansa Fuze please?

Media Monkey

Winamp

Dunny’s homemade playlister

Using Winamp to Create Playlists (Step-by-Step)

Thank you for your answers, Black-Rectangle and Tapeworm. I’ve tried with my usual player (JetAudio) but the file generated was adressing the wrong place for the files.

Yes, m3u format playlists need to be in the same folder as your target music.

I’m spoiled, I simply run in MTP mode, where playlists ( pla format) are a matter of a right click > New Playlist, then drag and drop my list together.  The targets dragged into the list are not the files themselves, as it looks, but a list of them.  You can change the order of these songs by dragging them as well.  Pla format lists don’t care about the relative path, just the song title.

A playlister program makes it quite simple in MSC mode too, just be sure about the relative path (or list needs to be in the same folder as your music).

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 09-08-2009 10:58 PM

neutron_bob wrote:  

A playlister program makes it quite simple in MSC mode too, just be sure about the relative path (list needs to be in the same folder as your music).

Not True   :stuck_out_tongue:

D.

you can make one in notepad,

it must contain the path to your music,

so lets say your songs is at F:/music/artist/coolsong.mp3

in notepad you must put the RELATIVE path, so if your playlist file is in the “music” folder, you put artist\coolsong.mp3

and if it’s in the root (main folder) of  your player, you would put music\artist\coolsong.mp3

and all files must start with:  #EXTM3U

heres an example of a playlist(saved in the root 

#EXTM3U

MUSIC\pillar\For the Love of the Game\01 For the Love of the Game.mp3

MUSIC\pillar\For the Love of the Game\02 Turn It Up.mp3

MUSIC\TobyMac\Momentum\Yours.mp3

MUSIC\msc\Trogdor.mp3

MUSIC\Msc\move.mp3

I know this will work because it’s my Real playlist,

when saving make shure you end the filename in .m3u 

and change the “save type as” to all files 

It amazes me that people are still using .m3u playlists when they are so limited.

.pla playlists don’t have any of those restrictions - you can put them anywhere on your device as they use absolute filenames.

D.

@dunny wrote:

It amazes me that people are still using .m3u playlists when they are so limited.

.pla playlists don’t have any of those restrictions - you can put them anywhere on your device as they use absolute filenames.

D.

but aren’t .pla restricted to MTP?  That’s why most people don’t use them.  I use MTP though, so I have to agree .pla is much easier to use.

No, .pla can be created in MSC mode - my application YAPL creates them with ease. They can be made in either mode.

D.

@dunny wrote:

D.

PLA playlist are limited too; just in a different way. There are limits to the number of entries (songs). It used to be 250; they might have raised it to 500, I can’t remember for sure.

M3U playlists, while limited to either the player’s memory or card (not both) are un -limited in the amount of songs you can place in that playlist.

There is no perfect solution. :wink:

@tapeworm wrote:

@dunny wrote:

D.

PLA playlist are limited too; just in a different way. There are limits to the number of entries (songs). It used to be 250; they might have raised it to 500, I can’t remember for sure.

M3U playlists, while limited to either the player’s memory or card (not both) are un -limited in the amount of songs you can place in that playlist.

Really?

Only I just read this:

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?message.uid=119288#U119288

And now you’re making me confused :wink:

D.

Isn’t the 1000 song limit for both types of playlists?

@ssorgatem wrote:
Isn’t the 1000 song limit for both types of playlists?

I shall perform some tests and post my results.

D.

@dunny wrote:

@tapeworm wrote:

Really?

Only I just read this:

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?message.uid=119288#U119288

And now you’re making me confused :wink:

D.

You’re confused? I told you I couldn’t remember.:stuck_out_tongue:

FYI, latest video4fuze can create & edit .pla playlists. It’s still very basic, but it will improve :slight_smile:

Thank you for all your replies. Bobdotexe has pointed out my problem with playlists : the paths were wrong when I was exporting playlists with my usual software. Now I know how to manage them. Thanks.