Hot stuff coming through

Hi all,

Just got a Connect and been enjoying it the past couple of days but had a strange incident: last night, while I was syncing Y! Music files, the Connect got progressively warmer around the lower back of the unit - where the speaker and presumably also the battery is.  This continued to the point in which the heat could be felt around the front where the dial is.  In addition, the battery life was getting eaten up really quickly; by the end of the sync job, there was only 1/3 left.

Has this happened to anyone or is this normal?  I thought that the battery was supposed to charge when connected?  Shortly after the above incident, I charged the Connect back up with the AC adapter attachment and there weren’t any problems: no heat and the battery charged back up successfully.

Message Edited by rpn777x on 08-25-2007 04:22 PM

Mine does that, too.  If you’ve got the wireless switched on, are using the speaker, and are sync’d up to the computer, you get a side order of excessive heat.

When plugged into PC the display is on unless you sleep the Connect. Streaming music, using the speaker and connected to USB port on PC can definitely use max power. Especially if you are also charging the battery. But the increase in temperature should not be an uncomfortable amount.

I just tested a few devices and was pretty much not noticable temperature increase except for one scenario starting with an almost dead battery. These tests included concurrent:

- Run WiFi

When plugged into PC the display is on unless you sleep the Connect. Streaming music, using the speaker and connected to USB port on PC can definitely use max power. Especially if you are also charging the battery. But the increase in temperature should not be an uncomfortable amount.

I just tested a few devices and was pretty much not noticable temperature increase except for one scenario starting with an almost dead battery. These tests included concurrent:

- Run WiFi

- USB connection to PC ( keeping display on)

Run WiFi

Run WiFi

I just tested a 3 Connects with max power usage. These tests included concurrent:

- Run WiFi (streaming internet radio)

- Speaker On

- Downloading a dozen or more albums in a playlist

- Charging battery on 1 test unit

There was almost no temperature increase noted with 2 devices that started with full charge.

On the third device, I started with an almost completely dead battery. There was some noticable warming, but nothing I would characterize as hot. Also, the battery did charge during this test. The Connect should not discharge while connected via USB unless the USB port is not high power.

Make note if you see this again.

I did some more experimenting with mine and found that the unit gets pretty hot just charging the battery via computer USB.