He's dead, Jim!

My co-worker bought one of my Clip+'s from me about a month ago, and he managed to send it through the washer and dryer.  By the time I heard about it, days had gone by, he’d tried leaving it plugged into a charger, etc…so he handed it off to me yesterday. The screen appears to be shot…I plug it into the computer, and the computer tells me it is an M200Plus.  It then tells me that I need to format it before I can use it, and that it’s capacity is 4.03MB (as opposed to 8GB ) :dizzy_face:

Windows can’t format it, the Panasonic SD formatter that I used on this very device before can’t do it, I can’t drop firmware on it.  I get the message that I have to format it before I can use it and then…“Windows can’t format F. Check to see that the disk and drive are connected properly, make sure the disk is not read-only, and then try again”.

So as near as I can see, this thing is dead, unless someone’s got any other ideas. And yes, I told him he is an ■■■■■…lol.

@marvin_martian wrote:

…I plug it into the computer, and the computer tells me it is an M200Plus.  It then tells me that I need to format it before I can use it, and that it’s capacity is 4.03MB (as opposed to 8GB ) :dizzy_face:

Windows can’t format it, the Panasonic SD formatter that I used on this very device before can’t do it, I can’t drop firmware on it.  I get the message that I have to format it before I can use it and then…“Windows can’t format F. Check to see that the disk and drive are connected properly, make sure the disk is not read-only, and then try again”.

C’mon now Marvin, tell the truth. You just copied and pasted that from any one of about a hundred other identical posts here, didn’t you? :stuck_out_tongue:

@tapeworm wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

…I plug it into the computer, and the computer tells me it is an M200Plus.  It then tells me that I need to format it before I can use it, and that it’s capacity is 4.03MB (as opposed to 8GB ) :dizzy_face:

C’mon now Marvin, tell the truth. You just copied and pasted that from any one of about a hundred other identical posts here, didn’t you? :stuck_out_tongue:

No, I really didn’t. That’s just what I tried before I ran out of ideas…I’m just glad I never ran one of mine through the laundry!

Probably shouldn’t listen to it in the bath tub either. :wink:

Can you connect to Windows to run a CHKDSK on it?

Also, if a CHKDSK and error correction can’t be run, I wonder if you can go back a stage and run a partitioning on the drive. Paragon has nice partitioning software, including in freeware, the last time I checked.

@miikerman wrote:
Also, if a CHKDSK and error correction can’t be run, I wonder if you can go back a stage and run a partitioning on the drive. Paragon has nice partitioning software, including in freeware, the last time I checked.

No go on chkdsk…“the disk check could not be performed because the disk is not formatted. Would you like to format the disk?”

In fact, I’d love to format the disk, but the disk  doesn’t seem to agree with that  idea. I think I have Paragon on my netbook, so I’ll give that a shot…thanks!

Well, here’s a curveball for you.  Laundry soap is replete with ionic surfactants (gooey detergent).  If it has been thoroughly washed, as it has, then run through the drier, you have two, well OK, more than that- variables to deal with.

Does the Clip power up normally?  The battery indicator may be interesting.  The high temp of teh drier is deadly for the LiPo battery.  If that’s OK, there may be some residual water remaining.

If the device still does not respond, no loss, it’s already “broke”.

Get it wet once again, this time use distilled water to rinse out the (conductive) residue within the device. Give it a nice shaking to work that DI water around. Then shake it out and use the dry rice trick to dry her out once more, and give it a few days.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy: