HELP! SMC freezes up when trying to convert AVI, MPEG, and MP4 files

THe SMC (which used to work) freezes up when I try to convert videos. These are Youtube videos which I have converted to AVI, MPEG or MP4.  SMC sees the files, but when “Add Media”, the software freezes and I have to go into Windows Task manager to END Task the SMC. I have tried different media types (AVI, MPEG and MP4) and I have downloaded the lastest version of SMC THREE times.  I have used both DVDvideo soft and VDownloader softwares to convert the youtube videos. It still hangs up. What happened…this used to work?

I can’t make any guarantees, but you could try other formats (such as WMV), there are converters like SUPER that will convert almost anything to almost anything else.  I do not what formats your converter works with, but it is worth a try.

After days of trying to get the SMC to work,  I found why SMC was freezing when trying to ADD MEDIA. It was a compatibility problem with a microsoft program called FFDShow. I remember when I used the SMC software the first time after many months, a box popped up telling me that SMC was trying to use some program called FFDshow. It gave me options on how I wanted the matter handled. WHATEVER YOU DO…DONT SAY YOU WANT FFDSHOW TO ALWAYS WORK THE SMC SOFTWARE. You problem need to choose the option of NEVER use FFDSHOW to work with SMC. Also, if did choose the wrong option like I did, you can turn off the FFDSHOW by typing the following on the run line:

regsvr32.exe /u “C:\Program Files\ffdshow\ffdshow.ax”

After running that command, the regular
DivX/XviD codecs will be used instead of ffdshow.

You can enable ffdshow again with this command:

regsvr32.exe “C:\Program Files\ffdshow\ffdshow.ax”

I found the solution by looking on Microsoft community forum. Someone else was having the same problem with their MOVIE MAKER program. Here is the link to the topic: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.moviemaker&tid=879201f9-c891-4b31-8add-37e48bef8534&cat=&lang=&cr=&sloc=&p=1