Help Please --- Clip+ stuck on USB screen and won't do anything else...

I just purchased a slightly used RockBoxed Clip+ from someone at Head-Fi.

The first time I plug the thing in to my laptop with intentions of pairing it with my MediaMonkey software (so I can load it with music and manage it, etc), it freezes up with the USB icon lit up on the screen, and with a few other icons. I discovered that even after disconnecting (and re-connecting) the device that this display will not go away no matter what combination of buttons I push or hold down for any length of time.

I am including a pic to illustrate what I am talking about here. I am wondering if I should just go ahead and ask the guy for a refund. Or maybe someone here will know what to do to get this thing un-stuck. I tried looking for a pinhole to reset it. I saw one on the rear of the device, close to the top. I did try using a push pin in the hole, to no avail (I hope that it actually is intended to be a reset hole).

Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

PS — Sorry, I can’t seem to get the image to load here.

Hi Louis, have you tried to reset this to factory default yet and see if it does the trick?

Hi There,

Thanks for the response.

Your suggestion is a great one. If only I _ could _ do this, that is…

You see, right now as I am looking at my Clip+ (and BTW it is no longer connected to my laptop), it is stuck on this USB screen (which I actually believe to be the RockBox USB display if I’m not mistaken).

And, well, to put it bluntly … I can’t even turn the device OFF at this point. It is not responding to ANY button strokes of any kind. It is just stuck on this screen. So, I would obviously not be able to navigate to the menu which would offer the option to do the system reset.

I wish I could post the image of this here, but can’t seem to figure out how to do this.

On a sidenote, I wonder if the guy might have sent me an off-brand USB cable … could this be the culprit … Probably not, but I am just trying to rule out all options before contacting him for a refund.

Ok, finally got it off of that screen after contacting the original seller (who told me to hold down the power button for :20 sec).

Simply FYI:  that’s the standard hard reset process for the Clips. 

@louis8ball wrote:

I tried looking for a pinhole to reset it. I saw one on the rear of the device, close to the top. I did try using a push pin in the hole, to no avail (I hope that it actually is intended to be a reset hole).

That is the microphone opening, _ NOT _ a reset port/hole. :dizzy_face:

I hope you weren’t planning on making any voice recordings with it.

@barniani wrote:
Hi Louis, have you tried to reset this to factory default yet and see if it does the trick?

Resetting the factory defaults would do nothing . . . as you’ve been told repeatedly via your numerous other aliases on this forum. Please stop giving bad advice! If you know know, don’t post just for the sake of building up your post count. :angry:

It really is as simple as that.