Help, Black Stripe across my screen.

I just got my clip a couple weeks ago, and all was fine until about two days ago when it started changing songs randomly while I was listening. And then last night I got home from work and charged it. I unplugged it from my computer and put it down right in front of my laptop like I always do and when I woke up this morning my friend was being a complete tool (saying “Oh it can only hold like 50” and then 200). And when I went to go turn it on to tell him how many I had on it, it wouldn’t turn on. I assumed the battery may have died, but when I plugged it in, it wouldn’t start charging, so I restarted my computer (knowing there was a problem with it when I woke up also) and still nothing.

Inspecting it more closely I noticed a black stripe running across the screen.

I’ve only had a problem with there being a black stripe going across the screen once before on a video camera I have (it ended up doing that early in the year so I stored it away until recently because I’m leaving and had to pack everything and planned on leaving the camera around since it didn’t work). So I put batteries in the camera this morning to check it and it’s miraculously working. But it’s been at least 8 months since I last picked up the camera, so I have no idea when it started working again… So I’m wondering if in time the clip will eventually start working again or not, but I’m leaving on Saturday and my laptop is more or less a peice of junk, so the MP3 player was going to be my entertainment while on the plane.

Can someone help?

I would try a re-set (on switch held up for 10-15 seconds) or a reformat; possibly also reapplying the firmware, which can become corrupted.

If you look carefully at the screen, with the device off, there is a black stripe separating the yellow upper OLED line from the lower blue ones.  Could this be the line you are referring to?

Or, do you have a line of segments that is not illuminating?

It is possible for the Clip to get confused if the laptop powers down the USB bus as in hibernation mode.  The soft reset listed above will cure this ailment.  Also, powering up a computer with a Sansa connected can sometimes cause startup issues, if the computer is configured to boot from a connected flash drive.

As far as the hibernation issue, this is configurable via the device manager: the USB port can be set to remain ON is the laptop hibernates.  Laptops do all kinds of tricky things trying to squeeze every last ampere-hour from the battery.  In fact, most don’t realize that a laptop with a fast processor speed may only have that speed when running on AC power.  The CPU is slowed to conserve cycles / juice.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

I have a vertical black (unlit) column of pixels on the left side of my screen.

I’ve tried the reset, but no luck.

And since my firmware is already updated, the FirmWare Updater won’t refresh the Clip OS.

You can re-apply the firmware manually–see the sticky thread at the top of the forum.  If that doesn’t help, you may want to reformat the Clip, under its Settings (but note that this will erase your content on the Clip). 

@neutron_bob wrote:

If you look carefully at the screen, with the device off, there is a black stripe separating the yellow upper OLED line from the lower blue ones.  Could this be the line you are referring to?

Or, do you have a line of segments that is not illuminating?

It is possible for the Clip to get confused if the laptop powers down the USB bus as in hibernation mode.  The soft reset listed above will cure this ailment.  Also, powering up a computer with a Sansa connected can sometimes cause startup issues, if the computer is configured to boot from a connected flash drive.

As far as the hibernation issue, this is configurable via the device manager: the USB port can be set to remain ON is the laptop hibernates.  Laptops do all kinds of tricky things trying to squeeze every last ampere-hour from the battery.  In fact, most don’t realize that a laptop with a fast processor speed may only have that speed when running on AC power.  The CPU is slowed to conserve cycles / juice.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

This puzzled me for some time too until I actually gave it some thought haha.

Bob

Is that horizontal line dividing the yellow part of the screen of the blue part of the screen normal? Is that supposed to be there? I have had my Clip+ for 2 weeks and today is the first day I saw it.

Is the solution you are providing for something else?

Thank you.