Hellp wiht instalition

I cannot get my computer Windows XP to install the saftware that came with my new clip (the box says best buy).  Also, I cannot get my computer to recognize my clip.  I have tried on two different computers.  Finally, after disconnecting the clip.  it reads that it is connected and none of other buttons work.

any advice would be appreciated.

The Clip needs XP SP2 and WMP 10, or above.  Do you have all of that?  If not, you can upgrade your computer and try again.

Also if not, you also can connect to your computer in MSC mode, which does not require the above:  put the Clip in hold; and while pressing the center button on the front, connect the USB cable between your player and computer.  That should do it and make the connection.

To avoid having to do that every time, download the latest firmware and install it, and choose MSC mode under settings/USB.  MSC mode will do everything you need, but will not allow the transfer of protected (DRM) music. 

BEWARE! That software that comew with Clips purchased at Best Buy is nothing but garbage designed to trick you into subscribing to a proprietary music service. Don’t even bother installing it- it will cause problems, and is not at all necessary. You do not need any software for the Clip- once it is connected to your computer, you can just drag and drop files onto it.

SanDisk should really get after Best Buy for doing this- as a large percentage of complaints about the Clip are being caused by issues created by people installingthat software. BB is in essence giving Sandisk a bad rep!

As for the Clips controls not working when it is connected to the computed: That is normal- that’s the way it is meant to be. When the Clip is connected to your computer, it is just for the purpose of charging and/or loading files…and is not meant to be used(as a music player) when in that mode.

Also:  you do not need to use the disk that came with your player (I never received one, as I didn’t purchase from Best Buy).  Its intent is to direct you to the BestBuy music store, to buy from BB–it does not run the Clip.

Cllipman wrote:

BEWARE! That software that comew with Clips purchased at Best Buy is nothing but garbage designed to trick you into subscribing to a proprietary music service. Don’t even bother installing it- it will cause problems, and is not at all necessary. You do not need any software for the Clip- once it is connected to your computer, you can just drag and drop files onto it.

SanDisk should really get after Best Buy for doing this- as a large percentage of complaints about the Clip are being caused by issues created by people installingthat software. BB is in essence giving Sandisk a bad rep!

the software that comes on the cd is the best buy music store which in reality is rhapsody music service with a different skin. you do not have to use this software however it is not malicious in any way.

Agreed.  Best Buy is not being “malicious”, they are just offering the “Best Buy Digital Music Store”, a.k.a. Rhapsody.

The free trial period is most definitely worth it, as is the alternative, going directly to Rhapsody’s website for the service.

You can always format your sansa afterwards and go the drag-and-drop mp3 method, or use WMP11. 

Your Clip will be quite happy no matter how you feed him music, audio books, or podcasts.

Bob