HELLO .

“The most straight-forward way to do it is via playlists.  I’d recommend trying that, though that’ll require you installing and learning a tool like MediaMonkey.  I think you’ll be glad you did.  Otherwise, I’d recommend using the Genre tag.”

I’ve got a gazillion things that use playlsits, including Windows Media Player and RealPlayer. However, since Media Monkey seems to be the preferred software here, and since I intend to deal here then Media Monkey it is; though I have seen posts describing problems with Media Monkey.

I’m on it. Next How do I get it and which version if there are more than one? The large folder (617 items) does have a genre setting. the tag generator appears to have defaulted to  “other” as a catch-all, would that be valid? I can change the Genre tags in the other folders if need be

I take it that once this is done I really don’t need to stor folders in Connect, I can juct go into the desktop folder then Edit/select all/ copy then to Connect/interna memory/music/paste (after re-genre-ing the ones I want to put in other playlists.

I’ve noticed a “system files” folder in Internal Memory. Is this useful and what for?

http://www.mediamonkey.com/ … get the latest version.

“The large folder (617 items) does have a genre setting.”

I’m not sure what this means.  Windows folders don’t have genre settings; MP3 files have Genre tags.

“the tag generator appears to have defaulted to  “other” as a catch-all, would that be valid?”

“Other” is a valid genre, though I’m not sure if it suits your purposes.

“I take it that once this is done I really don’t need to stor folders in Connect, I can juct go into the desktop folder then Edit/select all/ copy then to Connect/interna memory/music/paste (after re-genre-ing the ones I want to put in other playlists.”

If you’re going to sync playlists to the Connect using MediaMonkey, you won’t be using Windows Explorer or copying-and-pasting at all.  MediaMonkey will copy the songs and playlists to the Connect for you.

If you plan instead to manually copy-and-paste your songs, whether you store folders on the Connect depends on whatever method is easiest for you to copy-and-paste your songs onto the Connect.

Here’s an example.

On my PC, I have a set of artist folders under “My Music”.  So under “My Music” you’d see a folder called “Elvis Presley”, “Jerry Lee Lewis”, etc.  Under each artist folder, I have a set of album folders for that artist.  And in the album folders, I have all the MP3s for that album.  So a song’s complete location path might be:

My Computer\C:\Documents and Settings\Promised Planet\My Documents\My Music\Elvis Presley\Blue Hawaii\Almost Always True.mp3

If I wanted to manually copy all my music to the Connect, I would select all of the artist folders under the “My Music” folder, and copy and paste them to “My Computer\Sansa Connect\Internal Memory\Music” (assuming I wanted to store them in the internal memory, not the microSDHC card).  That’s the easiest way to do it.  This would copy all the artist and album folders onto the Connect, but that’s OK, the Connect can handle it.  Elvis’s song, for example, would now be located at:

My Computer\Sansa Connect\Internal Memory\Music\Elvis Presley\Blue Hawaii\Almost Always True.mp3

Assuming the song’s Artist and Album tags had the correct values, using the Connect’s menu interface you would find “Almost Always True” under:

Music Library => Artists => Elvis Presley => All Songs

or

Music Library => Artists => Elvis Presley => Blue Hawaii

or

Music Library => Albums => Blue Hawaii

or

Music Library => Songs

or

Music Library => Genres => (whatever value you gave this song for its Genre tag)

“I’ve noticed a “system files” folder in Internal Memory. Is this useful and what for?”

Not really sure; possibly contains files required by the Connect for its operation, contents visible in Recovery Mode only.  Best not to mess around with it.

Message Edited by PromisedPlanet on 02-04-2010 01:03 PM

“other” suits my purposes since there are 617 mp3’s in the folder and I don’t want to go and redo each “genre” tag, unless there is a batch process for it. I’ll grab Media Monkey I won’t manually load, I’ll sync if that’s the best way. When I’m ready, I’ll go in to Connect and erase what’s there now since it was manually loaded to test and I want to start with a clean slate

Elvis? Jerry Lee Lewis? You’re a hipster as well as a sci-fi hound. I’m working in a bit later tiemfrmame; late '58 to mid '63 but it looks like it will work

Media Monkey also leves’s volume. That’s something I can use bigtime. Looks like it does a lost that I want

Thanks

MediaMonkey will allow you to display the full file paths of your MP3s.  You can then sort based on those file paths, select multiple MP3s at once, and give them all the same genre in one operation.  This would be useful to you if all your 1950s MP3s were in one folder, and you want to give them all the genre “1950”, for example.

MediaMonkey’s a great utility.  I really like its smart playlist support.  You can create a smart playlist based on practically every song attribute you can think of; not only its tags, but the location of the song, when it was added to the library, how many total songs you want in a playlist or how many megabytes, etc. 

I had to abort on the download of MM: Too  many red flags

First, I got redirected to “TrialPay”

Next, it said I was getting “Gold 3.something”, not Standard. As I understand it “Gold” is not free. I have not problme with that, If the price is decent, the Gold looks good. the Red flag goes up when I see other than I expect and no price is stated up front.

Third there were offers I take it that I’m required to accept one or more of

I did not live this long without any broken bones by not keeping my head on a swivel and the only thing I accept with strings attached is a guitar

I must have done something wrong.

@spacepatroller wrote:

I had to abort on the download of MM: Too  many red flags

First, I got redirected to “TrialPay”

Next, it said I was getting “Gold 3.something”, not Standard. As I understand it “Gold” is not free. I have not problme with that, If the price is decent, the Gold looks good. the Red flag goes up when I see other than I expect and no price is stated up front.

Third there were offers I take it that I’m required to accept one or more of

I did not live this long without any broken bones by not keeping my head on a swivel and the only thing I accept with strings attached is a guitar

I must have done something wrong.

I think you might have hit a wrong button.

Try this direct link and click on the black “Download Now” button on the left.

Try this link:

http://download.cnet.com/MediaMonkey-Standard/3000-2141_4-10109807.html?part=dl-101733&subj=dl

Got it!

I was pressing the wrong button. I use a high accessibility setting whaite on black on FireFox, this does not let me see the background, Some sites print their buttons on the bg and the only way I know that one is there is because the pointer turns to a hand .

This thing looks like a monster! is a a manager or a player? The accessibility is abysmal and I can just about read it. I’m coming down with keratokonis and ordinary black on white causes a glare and blurriness to me, It’d be nice if I could invert the text/bg colors. I can’t wait to get into it

Here’s a thread within the MediaMonkey forum regarding white-on-black and other visually accessible themes:

http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=21341

“Black Monkey” skin:

http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27198&p=136745&hilit=black+monkey#p136745

Message Edited by PromisedPlanet on 02-05-2010 08:35 AM

Thanks

There are skins in the Media Monkey folder, I just don’t know how to access them yet.

I hope you’re satisfied: I’ve had the thing for about 17 hours and I’m already spoiled rotten. by the volume-levelling (ALC, which I wish the Connect had) and excellent crossfade; all it needs is a Stand Freeberg style echo champber (reverb) and it’s deja vu all over again. It’s already my PC mp3 player of choice. I’m preparing folders to be used as playlists keying on Genre. It would be fantastic if someone could find a way to stick this baby in the Connect’s OS

I wonder if I can put those playlist m3u’s on a website if I have the mp3’s there. To see what I have in mind, go here

http://spaceojuke.spacepatrol.us

SpacePatroller wrote:

There are skins in the Media Monkey folder, I just don’t know how to access them yet.

Tools => Options => Skin (at bottom of list)

John Glenn in Orbit: GO!

Now I’m ready to get down to serious business. First I want to

Purge Media Monkey’s Library so I can start fresh

Load all my muksic into the Library. Which If I do, will I be able to take the folders off my hard drive entirely?  My Music is about 1.9 GB and expected to grow, and my audio books will be about 4 when I’m done. My hard drive is 40 GB so 6 GB is significant

Set up the Connect, Now if I sync to different playlists using differen parameters, and a song falls into more than one category, will this song be loaded multiple times?

Once I get this down, I’ll go after my audio books and put them on one 4GB card if my unit will take it.

If you already have songs in MM’s library, and want to purge, just select them all (control-A) and press Delete, making sure that you select “Delete from Library only” if you don’t want to actually delete those songs from your hard disk.

MM doesn’t make copies of your songs, its library only contains pointers to your songs, so do NOT delete the songs from your hard drive after you add them to MM’s library.

If a song is contained within multiple playlists, MM will only copy the song once.  Those playlists will all have a pointer to that song.

Well, I’m 95% there. I’ve got the media auto-levelled as best I can, all the usefule ID3 tage attributes are in and I hav the player loaded. Didn’t I see something about a crossfade someowhere? Different songs have different blank lead-in and lead out times. Crossfade goes from one to the other seemlessly. The Windoew Media Player crossfade was in some way disagreeable whil Media Monkey’s default crossfade is just right. I’m looking for a crossfade on the Connect

The Sansa Connect doesn’t have a built-in crossfade feature.

Well them I’m all set and this mission’s a success

I compared the stuff on the screen with what the manual listed. the Yahoo and Friends icons are not there so this one must be a very late edition of the firmware, like, after Yahoo Unlimited Music To Go did just that. I also went to the ZING site to see if there was anything interesting and mostly just found listed the mp3 players they serve. I took a quick look a LUANCHcast and saw a couple of stations I might go for, like Classic Rock. which I can get plenty of from YouTube with my little audio capture program as well as 60’s folk (Tom Rush, Byrds) and Psych Rock. Thow in some of my more recent favorites and life is good

I’m listeining to the 4 Preps DOWN BY THE STATION. With the built-in speaker it’s transistor radio deja vu all over again. All I need is an Algebra assignment, a bag of pizza chips and a bottle of Coke to go along with it and it’s this date in 1960 and I’m a Freshman

Since I have things set up by Album (folder) of which I have 6, Genre, 2 (each of which subsumes multiple Albums) and Artist, I really don’t need playlists unless I wanted to arrange by year

Message Edited by SpacePatroller on 02-11-2010 03:47 PM