Hello everyone - I received a new Cip for Christmas - and...

Hello everyone - I received a new Cip for Christmas - and have noticed a lot of discussion on the new firmware download. I am not having pfoblems at all - I was wondering if someone coud tell me if I realy need to download new firmware - and if so - what it will buy me.

You don’t have to use it, of course, but people tend to upgrade, as the upgraded version includes bug fixes along with other advances.  People seem to indicate that the .18 firmware is a positive upgrade.

One of the .18 firmware’s benefits is the ability to set the Clip to operate as a separate drive, under MSC (mass storage capacity) mode.  MSC mode will allow the Clip to be used with computers that aren’t XP machines with WMP10.  (You can use this mode without setting the Clip to is as well, by putting the player in hold and then by pressing the center button as you plug in into the computer.)  I don’t know what version of firmware you have, but I imagine that there are bug fixes and other features that you would benefit from.  And it’s pretty easy and non-harmful to do.

You don’t have to use it, of course, but people tend to upgrade, as the upgraded version includes bug fixes along with other advances.  People seem to indicate that the .18 firmware is a positive upgrade.

One of the .18 firmware’s benefits is the ability to set the Clip to operate as a separate drive, under MSC (mass storage capacity) mode.  MSC mode will allow the Clip to be used with computers that aren’t XP machines with WMP10.  (You can use this mode without setting the Clip to it as well, by putting the player in hold and then by pressing the center button as you plug in into the computer.)  I don’t know what version of firmware you have, but I imagine that there are bug fixes and other features that you would benefit from.  And it’s pretty easy and non-harmful to do.

Thank you for your input - it is appreciated.