Have you heard this one?

Does anybody remember " The Green Hornet" TV show? It was on for only 1 season back in 1966. They tried to capitalize on the popularity of “Batman”, but the “Hornet” wasn’t as campy, was definitely darker and more serious.

Van Williams played Britt Reid (alias the Green Hornet) and Kato, his man Friday was played by the immortal Bruce Lee. Kato the character, if you didn’t realize it, was “parodied” in the Pink Panther movies with Peter Sellers.

The theme song for this show was “The Flight of the Bumblebee” by Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov. It was played by an awesome trumpet player! I want to say it was Al Hirt, as he was probably the No. 1 bugle boy of the time. Herb Alpert’s popularity was just starting and it wasn’t really his style anyway, but the fact is I just don’t know who it was. The IMDB (Internet Movie Database) doesn’t give credit to the performer.

I’ve been trying to find an mp3 of this with no luck. I have found this piece of music being played by piano, guitar, even flute; just about anything OTHER than trumpet. I’d really like to get this for my player. It is an outstanding track!

Has anybody seen this on any of the on-line music services they frequent? Probably not, unless you were specifically looking for it. If you come across it, please let me know, either by replying to this thread, or by sending me a private msg. I’d really appreciate it.

Interestingly, Bruce Lee said the only reason he got the part of Kato wasn’t because of his legendary martial-arts skills, but the fact that he was the only Asian actor to read for the part who could correctly pronunce “B r itt R eid!”

Mel Gibson to Kim Chan (aka Uncle Benny) in Lethal Weapon 4 , “FLIED LICE . . . FLIED LICE!”

Uncle Benny shoots back, “It’s FRIED RICE, YOU PLICK!”

Toooo Much !!! :smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy: I think I peed my pants the first time I heard this!

Song is called “Green Hornet”. You were correct, it is by Al Hirt. It appears on the “Kill Bill” movie soundtrack CD Vol1. Sound clip is available at CD Universe. Al’s fingers had to be hurting after that one!!! Super-fast tempo for a trumpet!

14124all -

Thanks for the heads-up! With you confirming that it was indeed Al Hirt, I was able to find one of his albums that this song is on. It does indeed “go by” The Green Hornet Song, but the real title & original composer is as I stated in my original post.

I haven’t as yet found anywhere I can buy & download _ just _ this track, so I may have to break down and buy the CD (if I can find it). And I’d much rather have a whole CD’s worth of Al Hirt than the mix of various songs/artists on the Kill Bill soundtrack. I read somewhere that the CD is out of print and I’ve only found 2 places on-line that are selling it, and they both want in excess of $60!!! Whoooaaaa, Nelly :dizzy_face: . . . I don’t think so! I’ll keep my eye peeled on E-Bay.

Thanks again; there may yet be hope :smiley: !

EDIT: Right after I posted this, I found some other sellers of this CD (The Al Hirt Collection) that was more reasonable then the $60. They got down to $21 + shipping (new). Better, but I think I’ll still watch E-Bay . . . unless someone out there has it and wants to sell? :smiley:

Message Edited by Tapeworm on 08-02-2008 05:58 PM