hard plastic clear cases now available for Fuze

I just ordered a hard plastic protective case for my Fuze off eBay.  I’ve been looking for one because I prefer the hard crystal style cases over the softer silicone style, but I hadn’t been able to find any previously.  Search eBay for clear crystal case fuze and you should be able to find several similar models.  I went with one that had a belt clip attachment.

Yeah, I saw them on Amazon as well.  I was just about to order a silicone case when these popped up, now I’m undecided.  Please post once you receive it.  I’d definitely like to hear your impressions.

I’m still holding out for a leather case with a GOOD belt clip, like the Griffin one for the E200.

I saw one of the Griffin type leather e200 cases last week- they’re built very well.

If they come up with a Fuze case like it, “I’m all over that”!

So, with the hard plastic case, do you have to open it up before rotating the scroll wheel?  :stuck_out_tongue:

Sounds like a lot of work.  I’d have to drill a headphone jack hole in it too… (imagining a solid Lexan 10mm thick bullet proof block with a wee Fuze hidden inside)

Bob  :smileyvery-happy: 

Thanks for the heads up!  I have been waiting for one of these to come along!

and re: leather case…  There is a guy down the street from me who makes custom leather cases, the kind where the clip will not fall off your pocket/belt/whatever.  I’ll have him make me one after I get my crystal case…just a little added prottection, you know?  He did make a leather case for my fiance’s non-sansa device, and it turned out great!

Nice find! I have been looking for a good case for my silver fuze but the only one i’ve ever seen is the DLO actionjacket.

I just got one from ebay and its great. Real hard case (also covers the screen) that has cutouts for on/off switch, USB port, earphones jack, memory card slot, main dial and Home button.

I like to run my thumb around the outer edge of the wheel on the Fuze.  With the silicone skin, it hugs the wheel close enough that it makes this motion difficult.  I have to move my thumb to the center “dish” of the wheel.  Is the hard case similar in this regard?  Or, does it have a bit more room around the wheel?

I haven’t looked at eBay yet, but I see two on Amazon.  One looks very similar to the silicone one I have in that regard, the other one doesn’t show a pic with the player, so I can’t tell for sure on it.

thanks!

@neutron_bob wrote:

I saw one of the Griffin type leather e200 cases last week- they’re built very well.

 

If they come up with a Fuze case like it, “I’m all over that”!

 

So, with the hard plastic case, do you have to open it up before rotating the scroll wheel?  :stuck_out_tongue:

 

Sounds like a lot of work.  I’d have to drill a headphone jack hole in it too… (imagining a solid Lexan 10mm thick bullet proof block with a wee Fuze hidden inside)

 

Bob  :smileyvery-happy: 

No.  You shouldn’t have to open the case for any reason except for occasional cleaning.  Ditto for drilling out the headphone jack.  The hole should already be there.  

@txgreg wrote:

I like to run my thumb around the outer edge of the wheel on the Fuze.  With the silicone skin, it hugs the wheel close enough that it makes this motion difficult.  I have to move my thumb to the center “dish” of the wheel.  Is the hard case similar in this regard?  Or, does it have a bit more room around the wheel?

 

I haven’t looked at eBay yet, but I see two on Amazon.  One looks very similar to the silicone one I have in that regard, the other one doesn’t show a pic with the player, so I can’t tell for sure on it.

 

thanks!

With the hard plastic case, there’s plenty enough room so you can spin the outer edge of the wheel.

Hehe.  Sometimes we take things too seriously.  I was imagining a clear plastic case like the type used for diving, hence the jab at having to drill access holes in a big plastic block.

I have used these cases years ago for underwater camera work, with special fittings to operate the camera knobs.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

Does anyone who has purchased a particular case and likes it please post some details, and maybe even a link?

Thanks.

@bobletteross wrote:

Does anyone who has purchased a particular case and likes it please post some details, and maybe even a link?

 

Thanks.

If you do a search on ebay for ‘sansa fuze crystal case’, there are 2 sellers with a very high feedback percentage: ‘accessoriescity’ and ‘firegadgets’. They both sell them for about $11 (including shipping) and they come with a belt clip.

Thanks, ManU!

I purchased a clear, soft, silicon case on ebay from accessoriescity. I like it as it does a good job of protecting the Fuze surface.

The case came with a screen protector (and a small cleaning cloth), belt clip and strap. I haven’t used the clip or strap.

I’m seriously considering ordering one of those clear, hard plastic cases. It would be nice to actually see the Fuze through the clear case.

@fuzefan wrote:

I purchased a clear, soft, silicon case on ebay from accessoriescity. I like it as it does a good job of protecting the Fuze surface.

The case came with a screen protector (and a small cleaning cloth), belt clip and strap. I haven’t used the clip or strap.

 

I’m seriously considering ordering one of those clear, hard plastic cases. It would be nice to actually see the Fuze through the clear case.

Plus the hard plastic case covers the screen. That was the main reason why I purchased one of those instead of the soft silicon cases.

If you’ve purchased one of the soft silicon cases that didn’t include a screen protector, you can get generic ones at places like Walmart (just have to trim the protector to the size of the Fuze screen).

@odd_bob wrote:

I’m still holding out for a leather case with a GOOD belt clip, like the Griffin one for the E200.

 

There is a 3-in-1 Sansa Fuze kit from Amazon.com. It comes wit a leather jacket thing, an armband, and a case for $24.99 (plus shipping). It does have a belt clip.

Message Edited by saxmaster765 on 07-24-2008 06:18 AM

@bobletteross wrote:

Does anyone who has purchased a particular case and likes it please post some details, and maybe even a link?

 

Thanks.

I got mine from accessoriescity on eBay. 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd

=1&item=120284743490&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=002

These are my first impressions.  It was the hard crystal case with the belt clip.  It looks like the case will do a good job protecting the player from scratches and, more importantly from damage to the LCD screen.  If I had a silicone case I’d try to squeeze this plastic case inside it for added protection against drops.  Not sure if it would fit, but I would try it.  It’s not easy to take the case apart once you have the player inside it.  All controls, including scroll wheel and headphone jack, were easily accessible.  There’s even a tiny hole where the built-in microphone is located.  I see no way to attach a lanyard to the case, not that I ever use a lanyard for my player.  Not as easy to get to the µSD(HC) card – the hole around the SD slot could be bigger.  It is tapered to a thinner size around the power button to make access to that button easier, but getting to the power button is still not as easy as without the case.  This is not a limitation of the case design, though, it’s more a limitation of the Fuze design.  The included belt clip, however, does not inspire much confidence.  The clip is a 3-piece design – a threaded stud that goes inside the case, the part that clips to the belt, and a nut to hold the other 2 parts together.  It looks like it could be easily broken, the nut could work its way loose, the threads could get stripped, or the little quick release lever thingamabob could get accidentally pressed by bumping up against something.  On the plus side, the clip does all the player to freely swivel, which can be a good thing for those times when the headphone cord gets snagged on doorknobs and such.  I haven’t dropped it or anything, but I’d feel better having it inside a belt-clipped leather case.

In the final analysis, I highly recommend this case versus no case at all.  I also think it’s better than a silicone case when it comes to protecting the fragile LCD screen.  I’m not crazy about the belt clip attachment, but it might prove to be more durable than I think it is.  Also, since the hole for the included belt clip is already there, it might not be too difficult to use a metal bolt and washer in place of the plastic stud and attach some other sort of clip or even just a simple loop of leather to pass a belt through.

@themarkster wrote:

 If I had a silicone case I’d try to squeeze this plastic case inside it for added protection against drops.  Not sure if it would fit, but I would try it. 

I can pretty much guarantee that the silicon case I have would not fit inside this hard plastic case.

Just got mine in from Amazon.  It seems to be just what I wanted…I work in a factory and get to take in the player ever so often.  This will come in handy in protecting the player and keeping it cleaner.  My next step is to go down to my neighbor’s house and have him make me a leather case for it!  I waited until now to get the leather case so I can have him make it to fit the player with the crystal case on, for double protection.

[EDIT]  I should mention that I was not pleased with the included belt clip that came with the crystal case (you can see the same case at an ebay store here: http://cgi.ebay.com/Clip-Crystal-Clear-Case-for-SanDisk-Sansa-Fuze-4gb-8gb_W0QQitemZ280250057882QQihZ018QQcategoryZ86534QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem )  But since I am having a case made, this was a non-issue for me.

Message Edited by hbar98 on 07-26-2008 09:13 AM