GoList limit?

Hi everyone,

I was adding tracks to my GoList, but it wouldn’t let me exceed fifty.  Is this the limit?

Thanks,

Brad

Anyone?  Help?

Yep, I think your head just bumped against the ceiling.

Hopefully, it isn’t one of those old school ceilings with acoustic popcorn on it, or worse yet, a drop ceiling with acoustic tiles.  Those things break all too easily.

You can generate longer playlists using various software applications and methods…lots of choices out there.  I like using WiMP11 or Rhapsody.  Rhapsody is far simpler, all I do is click away and name the list.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 07-28-2008 09:18 AM

@neutron_bob wrote:

Yep, I think your head just bumped against the ceiling.

Hopefully, it isn’t one of those old school ceilings with acoustic popcorn on it, or worse yet, a drop ceiling with acoustic tiles.  Those things break all too easily.

You can generate longer playlists using various software applications and methods…lots of choices out there.  I like using WiMP11 or Rhapsody.  Rhapsody is far simpler, all I do is click away and name the list.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 07-28-2008 09:18 AM

Bob,

No, it’s just plain drywall, and that hurts even more.  Okay, so I’ll just make my own On-The-Go playlist with as many tracks as I want.  That seems easy enough.  I just thought that the GoList would be able to hold more.

Thanks!

Brad

Message Edited by HulkSmashNow on 07-28-2008 11:23 AM

Message Edited by HulkSmashNow on 07-28-2008 11:23 AM

I have tried almost anything I can to freeze up the Clip, but I have found playlists to be an enigma.

I’m glad you found the current upper limit, as I quit months ago at something in the early 40s.  Building lists is so simple with WiMP and Rhapsody that I found it subtly amusing how much trouble folks have with it.  But then again, I rarely work with drag and drop, since all of my music is from CD or Rhapsody.  I dare not venture into the abyss of zorched files via p2p either.

For testing purposes, I have horror files that are intentionally blotzed for fun and Sansa amusement.  I keep them refrigerated in wee Petri dishes.  This makes troubleshooting far more controlled.

Oh, in MTP mode, you can even make a playlist by selecting a group of files from the Music folder, by holding [Ctrl] and clicking the files as a group, then right click for playlist options.  If you wish a sequential list you can do the same thing by holding [Shift] and selecting the first and last files for the list, then right click the group to a playlist.

Now, the subtle issue is whether that generates a .pla or an .m3u format playlist.  The Sansa likes .m3u I believe.

Come to think of it, once I’m done with the e200, I’ll load up a pair of Clips.  I’m feeling froggy.  Note- poking around in the e200, I have a group of .pla files.  I’ll poke around with it, and we’ll have a little fun.  On to make some manual lists…

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 07-28-2008 09:42 AM

I had an Express, and figured out how to make playlists with the right clicking method pretty quickly, but I kept having problems because my MP3s’ tags were all wonky.  I never worried about tags with my previous players, two RCA Lyras, which could be switched to MSC and used folder navigation.  I actually returned the Express (two Expresses, but that’s a whole other post), and with the money I got back, decided to dive in to the Sansa pool again and get a Clip.  I found a Buy.com and Google Checkout deal, and got a 4GB for $61.  And in the ensuing wait, I realized I had to get my MP3 tags in order.  So I did so with MP3Tag.

When I got my Clip (after a “Three Stooges”-like mess with UPS), I just dragged and dropped my entire directories of MP3s onto it.  I then used the right click method to create playlists.  When I went through said playlists on my Clip, some of them showed up empty with no tracks inside.  But, since I had previously tagged everything correctly, now I just play my MP3s by “Album” or “Artist” or “Genre” or “Songs.”  It works for me because nearly all of my Albums are just compliations in the mold of the old mixtapes.  And they have really original names like “Album 01,” “Album 02,” and “Album 43.” 

As of this post, I have 1,182 songs on my Clip.  153 of them are old TV themes in two different albums with the awe-inspiring titles of “TV” and “TV 2.”  The only CDs I have on my Clip are eclectic at best: “Spider-Man: Rock Reflections of a Superhero,” “The Simpsons - songs in the key of springfield,” and “Songs and Stories of the Justice League of America.”

Oh, and it appears that the the playlists generated by the right click method are .pla.

Keep doing what you’re doing, Bob, and thanks for the replies.

Brad

Message Edited by HulkSmashNow on 07-28-2008 12:15 PM

How about an update?

Time to play with the Windows Explorer playlist editor.

In MTP mode, You can generate a custom playlist by one of two grouping methods.  You can select a sequential group of music files by holding the [shift] key down, and clicking the first and last files in your list.  The other method is to hold the [ctrl] key down while clicking a whole gaggle of desired songs.

While the group is highlighted, right click, and select Playlist.  Name the playlist as desired.

Your songs will all be grouped in a new window if you click on this list.  You can edit the play order using this window, as well as delete any files from the list if you so desire.

To play things safe, I drag and drop this playlist to the Playlists folder of the Clip, since it’s far easier to keep track of the list than search among the individual files.

MTP mode will keep the playlist path intact, even though the playlist resides in a separate folder from your music.

Unplug, and your new playlist is available on the Clip under Music > Playlists.

Things may be a weee bit different in MSC mode, as the path is possibly interrupted if the playlist resides in a separate folder.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

Bob,

I did exactly that after your previous reply.

I used the right click method to create a playlist I aptly named “Brad’s Favorites.”  I then went through each of my folders for my favorite tracks (as the playlist name’s implies), and just dropped them into the open Explorer playlist editor.  It was easy and it looks as if all of the tracks I selected are showing up on my Clip, and it’s much larger than fifty!

Very cool, and now I have an on-the-go list even better than the GoList that I can edit on my computer rather than the Clip itself.

Thanks again,

Brad