getting song ratings on the PC from clip

J RIver is one of the best and most popular media centers for those with over 50k songs.

Media Monkey is another - which also DOESNT work with Sansa clip - hence a 3rd party had to step in and wrote a plugin.

The real point is that Sansa rely on fans on sites like this to suggest ways of getting their products to work how their customers want them to.

I’ve not seen a Sansa Dev response to ANYONE on this site - sad.

It’s ok though boys, I trawled the J River Site and Googled others and found the solution…it is MTP mode BUT you MUST have windows media player 11 installed on your machine, even if you never use it or even have it open.

I guess it loads drivers you need.

I’m happy I solved it myself - sad that Sansa played no part.

Good to know about a company’s customer support for future reference when considering new products…

@toomanybarts wrote:

J RIver is one of the best and most popular media centers for those with over 50k songs.

Media Monkey is another - which also DOESNT work with Sansa clip - hence a 3rd party had to step in and wrote a plugin.

The real point is that Sansa rely on fans on sites like this to suggest ways of getting their products to work how their customers want them to.

I’ve not seen a Sansa Dev response to ANYONE on this site - sad.

It’s ok though boys, I trawled the J River Site and Googled others and found the solution…it is MTP mode BUT you MUST have windows media player 11 installed on your machine, even if you never use it or even have it open.

Good to know about a company’s customer support for future reference when considering new products…

So I can infer from your post that you must be using Windows XP…which I don’t recall you mentioning before. Given that info, there is also something called the MTP porting kit that will install those same drivers that are included with WMP11. If you were using Vista(shudder) or Windows 7(most excellent) the MTP drivers you need would be baked into the OS natively, unlike the old-school XP.:stuck_out_tongue:

Personally, I’ve never understood the need or desire to use the rating system. To ‘rate’ a song you must first listen to it right? Then you press the down button to rate the song. If it’s a song you do not care for, why would you even want it on your player? A few more button presses will bring you to the Delete Song option. Gone. Case closed. As you hear these songs you don’t care for and delete them as they come up, attrition will naturally narrow down your library to only songs that you like, so why bother?

If it’s a song you like, what’s the point of rating it higher? And if one is using other software to rate the songs, and want those ratings transferred to the player, again I must ask the question, why bother adding songs with a 1 or 2 star rating in the first place? It’s a waste of memory space that could be better used for songs you like to listen to.

Maybe someone will point out an aspect of this that I’m missing, but it seems to me as a huge waste of time and border-line OCD behavior even bothering to use this ‘feature’. One can be a bit more selective when choosing which songs to add to their player in the first place and save a lot of time and ‘putzing around’ that would be better spent listening to music that they really like, rather than rating or deleting those that they don’t.

I can ‘preview’ a song and tell in the first 30 seconds (most of the time) whether it’s a song I want to listen to through to the end or have it on my player. In those circumstances where I don’t have to time or inclination to preview every song on an album and instead just want to throw it on there and hope for the best, then the Delete Song option on the player when one comes up that is not my cup of tea takes care of things on the go.

@tapeworm wrote:

Personally, I’ve never understood the need or desire to use the rating system. To ‘rate’ a song you must first listen to it right? Then you press the down button to rate the song. If it’s a song you do not care for, why would you even want it on your player? A few more button presses will bring you to the Delete Song option. Gone. Case closed. As you hear these songs you don’t care for and delete them as they come up, attrition will naturally narrow down your library to only songs that you like, so why bother?

If it’s a song you like, what’s the point of rating it higher? And if one is using other software to rate the songs, and want those ratings transferred to the player, again I must ask the question, why bother adding songs with a 1 or 2 star rating in the first place? It’s a waste of memory space that could be better used for songs you like to listen to.

Maybe someone will point out an aspect of this that I’m missing, but it seems to me as a huge waste of time and border-line OCD behavior even bothering to use this ‘feature’. One can be a bit more selective when choosing which songs to add to their player in the first place and save a lot of time and ‘putzing around’ that would be better spent listening to music that they really like, rather than rating or deleting those that they don’t.

No way I’m going through my 14,128(and counting) song library and rating everything. I know some of it, I rarely listen to…and that stuff stays on the computer.  So I am in agreement…ratings are silly. Of course, I think the same way about playlists, too…:dizzy_face:

@toomanybarts wrote:

I guess you missed Marvin_Martian’s posts above, where he mentioned that setting to MTP mode would solve the problem?  That could have saved you the trouble (a purpose of the forum).   :wink:

@tapeworm wrote:

Personally, I’ve never understood the need or desire to use the rating system. 

At least in the abstract, I can see the appeal:  the ability to play a list of a category of song (songs I really like, songs I sometimes like, etc.).  But I’d prefer if the player could automatically maintain or assemble playlists for me:  songs from a particular decade, songs listened to frequently, songs not listed to recently, etc.–in essence, extended database options.  Actually, along the lines that the alternate Rockbox firmware had made available earlier (I haven’t checked if this still is possible; and albeit, with some programming, at least earlier).  And the more intelligent, the better:  up-tempo songs, orchestral pieces, etc. 

Thanks Bob your a lot of help.Now I can do this. Hope its not late to say thanks,

Just to give another example why someone (say, myself) would find ratings useful.  Right now my Clip+ (aka My Preciouss) is loaded with favorite music of all kinds.  I want to eventually have a chip loaded completely with only those favorites that have a walking beat, then slip in that chip when I head out for walking exercise. 

I can best know if the rhythm is right, if I’m actually walking to it, so that determination is best made while using the clip, not while reviewing my library in Windows Media Player.  I have often added something onto my clip that I think has the right rhythm, but it turns out it’s just too fast or slow for my comfortable range of walk beats.  Those that fit my rhythm, I give 4 stars to (or 5, if the rhythm isn’t perfect but I still want to hear it when I walk).  So I want to rate everything, sync the ratings into Windows Media, then when I load my special walking chip, just choose to sync the tunes that have 4 or 5 stars.

I haven’t got everything rated yet so haven’t tried this.  I’ve appreciated reading about this topic.