genre for audio book

sansa clip. using a pc. windows xp. my sansa clip is a 4 gig, black.

Sansa’s help people told me how to change the genre to AUDIOBOOK but it must be done one track at a time.

I am about to rip 6 audiobooks that are approx. 900 tracks.

Changing 900 tracks Genre one at a time is crazy. Anyone know a better way. I really want the genre to be audiobook.

HELP PLEASE    many thanks,  Mel

DBpoweramp converter at http://www.dbpoweramp.com is good for that .  Select all the files in Explorer then do right-click-edit-tags with the mouse.  The window that comes up with have all the tag values (with a lot of files most of them will say something like “various values”)

Just fill in genre with “audiobooks” and it will apply to all the selected files.  Any field you don’t touch won’t get changed.

Foobar2000 can do it: put all the files in the current playlist.  Select them, and edit properties (right-click-properties or alt-enter).  I’d guess that a lot of other players work the same way.

You don’t need to change the genre to audiobook. You can just put them in the audiobook folder on the player. The player will treat whatever is in the audiobook folder as an audiobook and give the resume feature, and the option for slow or fast play, even if it is  music files.

Many like the free program mp3Tag for editing tags.

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

All the replies seem knowledgeable and thoruogh and are appreciated. However, your suggestion seems like the easiest. No extra software to learn, etc. I am using windows media player and have not yet made my first sucessful playlist.

Do you have the time to give me more explicit instructions as to when and how to put it in the Audiobooks folder on the player.

By the player, do you mean Windows Media Player or do you mean the Clip device??    thanks   Mel

I use Windows Media Player for ripping mp3 files from CDs, and for playing mp3 and wma files on my pc. The nice thing about Windows Media Player is that it has variable speed playback of from a half to double normal speed, with automatic  pitch correction, so it is great for playing podcasts or audiobooks. I transfer files to my Clip using Windows Explorer. I just copy and paste the files. This works fine if your files aren’t protected. If they are protected, then you need to use the MTP mode and use Windows Media Player or some other Media player that handles protected music. Unprotected files can be copied to the player via copy and paste or drag and drop in either MTP or MSC mode using Windows Explorer or My Computer. Choose either MTP or MSC mode and stick with it. Sound files transferred to the player in MTP mode only appear on the player on the pc when connected in MTP mode, and those transferred in MSC onlt appear when connected in MSC.

I use mp3Tag to edit and fix tags on my pc before transferring the files to my pc. I have mp3Tag set the title tag to be the same as the filename for all the podcasts in a folder. Next I have it give them all the same album name, so they will be grouped together on the player. Next I make sure they are in the order I want them in, then have mp3Tag autonumber them. I then copy and paste the folders of podcasts to the audiobook folder of the player. In the podcast folder, the track numbers are ignored, but in the audiobook folder they are followed.

Make sure to enable chapter mode in the audiobook settings, otherwise the player seens to just consider the files one at a time and not play through an album full(an album is those files that have the same album tag(those in the audiobook folder are separated from those in the music or podcast folder though).

Message Edited by JK98 on 01-01-2009 01:44 AM

@swellmel wrote:

All the replies seem knowledgeable and thoruogh and are appreciated. However, your suggestion seems like the easiest. No extra software to learn, etc. I am using windows media player and have not yet made my first sucessful playlist.

Do you have the time to give me more explicit instructions as to when and how to put it in the Audiobooks folder on the player.

By the player, do you mean Windows Media Player or do you mean the Clip device??    thanks   Mel

Simply connect your Clip to your computer; and drag and drop, or copy and paste, your desired computer files into the Clip’s Audiobooks folder.

See?  Easy!