Fuze won't update

When I turn on my Fuze, it tries (and fails) to update the library.  When it gets to be about 75% percent done updating, it freezes and goes to the white screen.  I shut it down by holding the power button up and the home button in for maybe 20 seconds or so.

Then, when I try to plug it into my computer, it won’t delete the music or let me do anything.

There are only two things that I can think of that make my situtaion unique, those being that I’m using Ubuntu, and that I am using a usb cable that I had to order online after losing mine.  The cable isn’t made by sandisk, but I don’t see a different manufacturer’s label, and I no longer have the packaging.

I tried to format it a bit ago, and it seems as though there should be a way to do this while connected to the computer, but i’m not sure how to go about doing that.  I think that’s the first thing I would try.

There’s probably a file on there that’s either corrupted or has tags the picky little Fuze doesn’t like. Ubuntu may be writing the tags in Unicode rather than ISO-8859-1, so there may be a character that sends the Fuze off the deep end.

Your easiest move is to find one of those rare Windows computers, connect the Fuze in MSC mode (which you were likely using with Ubuntu–but put it on Hold and hold down the << while connecting to Windows, so it will definitely connect in MSC). Find the Fuze in Windows Explorer and Format… to FAT32.

Then put your music back on a few albums at a time.  If your tag editor has writing options, set the tag version of ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1  (might also be called ASCII coding), and make sure your tags are saved with that. 

Well, I tried to reformat it, and it was in FAT-32 already, but I redid it anyways, just to make sure, and it still goes to the “Refreshing your media” and then the splash screen.

I’m going to see if updating the firmware will do anything, but I’m not sure.

Formatting should wipe off all user-added content. Are you formatting from a Windows computer?