Fuze won't boot turn on - hangs at the "flower"

It’s a black 8G model from newegg. My daughter got one for Christmas and it worked fine for 1 day.  The last thing I did was add some movies by dragging and dropping the the Video folder. Later that day she said it had lost half it’s songs and then the screen just went black (you could still see the backlight was on).  I did the reset thing and it restarted but it just hangs after flashing “sansa” and showing the flower.  If I plug it in Windows XP says the device is unrecognized and malfunctioning.  It had the 02.03.33 firmware.

Any way to recover it?  

For the firmware to be corrupted like that I suspect a flakey flash device.  I suspect I need to return it to newegg for exchange.

@vladhed wrote:

It’s a black 8G model from newegg. My daughter got one for Christmas and it worked fine for 1 day.   The last thing I did was add some movies by dragging and dropping the the Video folder. Later that day she said it had lost half it’s songs and then the screen just went black (you could still see the backlight was on).  I did the reset thing and it restarted but it just hangs after flashing “sansa” and showing the flower.  If I plug it in Windows XP says the device is unrecognized and malfunctioning.  It had the 02.03.33 firmware.

Any way to recover it?  

For the firmware to be corrupted like that I suspect a flakey flash device.  I suspect I need to return it to newegg for exchange.

No, you can’t simply drop videos into the Video folder. The Fuse cannot read videos that haven’t been converted sepcifically for it and they won’t work. This is most likely the reason why it is acting up now. What you need to do is format the player, erasing all content and then re-load the music and convert the videos before putting them back on to prevent this from happening again.

Of course all this depends on you being able to connect it to your computer in order to format it. You can try sliding the power slider switch down to the HOLD or LOCKED postition (you’ll see orange underneath the button). Now press and hold the REW ( |<< ) button while you insert the cable into the bottom of the unit (have the other end already plugged into the USB port on your computer and a Windows Explorer/My Computer window already open). Continue holding the REW button until 2 new drives pop up in Explorer. The first one will be the player (the second is the card slot). Right-click on the player’s drive and select Format… Dont use the Quick Format option offered next. but make sure it formats as FAT32.

This won’t erase any system or operating files, but will clear your memory of anything you’ve added. Now you can start over. Many recommend video4fuze as a converter for your videos.

If this doesn’t work, then you may want to contact Newegg about an exchange. It wasn’t a re-furb by any chance, was it?

@vladhed wrote:

It’s a black 8G model from newegg. My daughter got one for Christmas and it worked fine for 1 day.   The last thing I did was add some movies by dragging and dropping the the Video folder. Later that day she said it had lost half it’s songs and then the screen just went black (you could still see the backlight was on).  I did the reset thing and it restarted but it just hangs after flashing “sansa” and showing the flower.  If I plug it in Windows XP says the device is unrecognized and malfunctioning.  It had the 02.03.33 firmware.

Any way to recover it?  

No, you can’t simply drop videos into the Video folder. The Fuse cannot read videos that haven’t been converted specifically for it and they won’t work. This is most likely the reason why it is acting up now. What you need to do is format the player, erasing all content and then re-load the music and convert the videos before putting them back on to prevent this from happening again.

Of course all this depends on you being able to connect it to your computer in order to format it. You can try sliding the power slider switch down to the HOLD or LOCKED position (you’ll see orange underneath the button). Now press and hold the REW ( |<< ) button while you insert the cable into the bottom of the unit (have the other end already plugged into the USB port on your computer and a Windows Explorer/My Computer window already open). Continue holding the REW button until 2 new drives pop up in Explorer. The first one will be the player (the second is the card slot). Right-click on the player’s drive and select Format… Don’t use the Quick Format option offered next, but make sure it formats as FAT32.

This won’t erase any system or operating files, but will clear your memory of anything you’ve added. Now you can start over. Many recommend video4fuze as a converter for your videos.

If this doesn’t work, then you may want to contact Newegg about an exchange. It wasn’t a re-furb by any chance, was it?

Thanks for the follow-up.  Unfortunately I already already found out all that stuff from trolling the forum - I have video4fuze because my wife has had a Sansa for a couple of years.  I did drag and drop 2.3G of videos into the Video folder at once and none of them showed up after un-plugging and letting the Sansa build its database.

I did try to force it into MSC mode but to no avail.  I don’t think the firmware gets that far.

Newegg have told me they won’t take it back because a) I ordered it in early November to be sure I got it before Christmas, so it’s been more than 30 days since the invoice date and b) they don’t have any left to replace it with anyway.  Not ordering from them again - never had this problem with tigerdirect.

Bought a 25$ Coby 8G player to replace it from CanadianTire - doesn’t have the nice wheel but at least it works.

Try forcing it to MSC a few more times. Make sure you have the right technique.

Unit off. Hold switch on (orange dot in slot). Connect USB to computer. Open WIndows Explorer. Hold << and connect USB. Cross fingers.

@vladhed wrote:

I did try to force it into MSC mode but to no avail.  I don’t think the firmware gets that far.

When you forced MSC mode, did you do that with the device turned OFF?

You could also try to let the battery run down and after the fuze shuts down due to low power, plug it into your computer while the fuze is still off, and see if it’ll charge up and is recognized by your computer.  If it is, then let it fully charge.  After it’s fully charged, format the player, and then reinstall the firmware.  Maybe that will get the fuze back on track.

Try to force MSC a few times.

Make sure you are doing it right.

Unit off. Hold switch on (orange dot in the slot). Open Windows Explorer. Connect USB end to computer. Hold << and connect cord to Fuze. Cross fingers that it pops up in Windows Explorer. 

In fairness to SanDisk, 2.3 GB of indecipherable files is a lot to dump on a little processor. No excuses for Newegg–they should be above that sort of thing.

Tried it many times.

Windows knows there is a USB host device there but flags it as malfunctioning as the device instance IDs are blank - I assume because it is the firmware that must programs them on startup. 

I also tried running the battery down - it did print on the display something like “battery low - system shutting down” - which proves the interrupt handler for the brown-out detection is working.  But once connected to the computer it hangs on bootup as before.

thanks, but I think this thing is off to the junk pile.

@vladhed wrote:

I also tried running the battery down - it did print on the display something like “battery low - system shutting down” - which proves the interrupt handler for the brown-out detection is working.   But once connected to the computer it hangs on bootup as before.

When you say “once connected to the computer it hangs on bootup”, do you mean that you are trying turning it on?  If that is what you are doing, then there is no need to do that.  When you connect the player to the computer with the player turned off, and you see the display light up and then see on the display “reading” and “writing” cycling through and  “connected”, there is no need to even touch any buttons on the player. 

Once the display has the word “connected” on steady with just the rolling flower logo, then just go to My Computer or Computer and right-click on the fuze and select “format”.   That is what I do when I want to format my fuze throught the computer.

Hi mags1230,

No, I don’t mean that.  The unit is off and I plug it in to the computer it starts to boot up (flash “Sansa” and swirls into the flower) but then hangs before it even programs the USB host interface so Windows flags it as a malfunctioning device.

Turning it on via the on switch or by plugging it into any computer results in the same thing - hanging at the “flower”.

Unfortuately it looks like it requires the firmware to replace the firmware so if the firmware is corrupted there is no way to do this

After a 2nd call to Newegg they have agreed to replace it even though I’m past the 30days from invoice date! yay!

Glad to hear that it worked out for you.  Newegg really should have an extended return period around the holidays anyway, like so many other retailers.