fuze transfer speed

Can anyone tell me the transfer speed of the fuze?  How long does it take to transfer a GB of files?

I haven’t timed it but it’s basically USB 2.0 speed. It also depends on whether you use MTP or MSC mode. MTP will transfer slower but it will take less time to refresh the database afterwards. MSC will transfer faster but take longer to refresh. I guess it evens out in the end.

Also, when you say ‘1 gig’ I think it also depends on how many individual files are contained in that 1 gig, fewer but larger files will probably transfer faster than many smaller files. I think it has something to do with having to create an index table for each file.  

Takes me around 25 minutes to transfer 8gb in MSC mode.  1gb should take maybe five minutes tops.

Unlike the E200v1,  transfer speeds for both the main memory and the micro card are just about the same.

I always wonder what sort of transfer speeds to expect with a Fuze.  Last night I transferred about 6.5 gb (about 1,000 songs) and it took over an hour.  I use MediaMonkey to do the transfer in MTP mode, so I do not know if the slowness is because of MediaMonkey, my USB connection or something else.  Any tips on what I can do to improve transfer speeds?

Others have said on this forum that MTP mode is slower to transfer. I changed to MSC mode, but didn’t notice a huge increase in speed. Since I’m using MSC mode, I can use simple file transfer speed tests. I get roughly .52 MBps write to the internal flash. In comparison, my MicroSD gets .68 MBps and my laptop hard drive gets 5.8MBps. I had noticed it was faster to transfer to the MicroSD, so these results make sense.

You may have noticed that these aren’t anything near USB2 speeds. A file transfer is as fast as the slowest component, which in this case is the flash. Flash is generally always slower to write than a hard drive (but usually fast to read).

Others have said on this forum that MTP mode is slower to transfer. I changed to MSC mode, but didn’t notice a huge increase in speed. Since I’m using MSC mode, I can use simple file transfer speed tests. I get roughly .52 MBps write to the internal flash. In comparison, my MicroSD gets .68 MBps and my laptop hard drive gets 5.8MBps. I had noticed it was faster to transfer to the MicroSD, so these results make sense.

So you should figure on transferring a megabyte every two seconds in MSC mode. MTP will take longer.

You may have noticed that these aren’t anything near USB2 speeds. A file transfer is as fast as the slowest component, which in this case is the flash. Flash is generally always slower to write than a hard drive (but usually fast to read).

Den-san: I expect there’s a way to tell if you’re connected USB 1.1, butI don’t know what it would be. That sounds about typical for a USB 1.1 connection (they’re very slow).

Message Edited by bdb on 08-08-2008 08:39 AM

I need to check if I have USB 2.0.  I used to have an iPod Nano first-gen 4gb.  The syncing seemed to have been quicker, but with the Fuze I am now transfering a lot more files now so I it may just be a misperception.  If I do have USB 2.0, I may try the MSC option, but I have hesitated doing going this route because I have read of problems with this if your file tags are not in good shape.

@den_san wrote:

I need to check if I have USB 2.0.  I used to have an iPod Nano first-gen 4gb.  The syncing seemed to have been quicker, but with the Fuze I am now transfering a lot more files now so I it may just be a misperception.  If I do have USB 2.0, I may try the MSC option, but I have hesitated doing going this route because I have read of problems with this if your file tags are not in good shape.

There shouldn’t really be any difference between MSC and MTP as far as the tags go.  If your tags are messed up you’ll have problems in either mode.  The deciding factors are if you need DRM support or want to use WMP to sync.  In those cases you want MTP.  Otherwise, MSC is a much better option because you are free to use whatever tools you want to mange your content.

You’ll have problems with either if your file tags aren’t in good shape. MSC mode appeals to me because you can change the tags once they’re on the player. I used MTP mode at first, and it was really annoying to put an album on there only to find that a tag was messed up (and I’d have to delete it and put a corrected copy on). Eventually I deleted everything and started over with MSC mode.

Well, I confirmed that I have USB 2.0.  I may try syncing using another USB port, but I doubt that will make any difference.  After that, the next step I will try is wiping the songs off my fuze, switch to MSC and see if this improves transfer speeds.

Assuming you are using XP, you might also want to try installing/reinstalling SP2 or SP3.  There was a fix in SP2 related to USB 2.0 performance with MSC.

Thanks for the tip, but do you have any more info about this fix in SP2/SP3 for USB 2.0 performance?  I hate to monkey around with the Windows updates to chase after a possible fix to my slow syncing problem.

I don’t remember the exact hotfix anymore.  I just remember years ago, when I got my first USB hard drive it was really slow and unreliable.  I searched the KB and found a hotfix that fixed the problem.  The hotfix was later rolled into a SP.

Ok, thanks for the tip.  I checked Windows Update and made sure I had all the new service packs installed.  I doublechecked my USB 2.0 driver and it seems to be the most current.  Right now I don’t have any new music to add to my Fuze so I will wait until I get a few new albums then try MTP syncing again. If it is still too slow, I will test MSC.