Fuze replacement

I talked to a Sansa rep on the phone and after trying several things to get my Fuze to work she said they would send mailing labels and instructions on how to ship it back for a replacement.  My email address was wrong.  After a week I got that fixed and recieved an email with a bunch of suggestions on how to fix my problem, none of which pertained to it, and links to support, forums, and faqs.  Why?  Just send the labels and instructions.  I realize Sansa doesn’t want to replace products, but if they tell you they will, why not just do it.

You would be amazed at the percentage of units that have nothing physically wrong with them, with data or firmware issues being the root of the difficulty.  Or, come to think of it, communications issues with the computer have to rank high in the list.

If a suggestion yields a happy customer, without having to wait for a replacement in the mail, that’s a good thing!  Everybody wins, and the user sees that the device was actually OK.

If you send it in, there’s that annoying grey area, the unknown, the doubt over just what was wrong.  It wouldn’t make any sense to contact you afterwards, just to say, "the old one was OK, we simply reloaded it, " as there’s an uncertainty in trust in that.

Normally, SanDisk will send you an email with a link to print a UPS return merchandise authorization label.  It’s pretty cool, as all you need do is drop the device off at any UPS store or shipper.  (I do believe you can even phone UPS for pickup, but I haven’t tried that.)

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Simply give SanDisk a call at 1-866-SanDisk, and give them your case number.

Thanks for the fast reply.  Sorry if I seemed negative.  I’m not at all.  I understand their position completely.  I’ve tried many times to load the firmware in, but it won’t charge up.  You plug it into the computer and it starts charging.  Then within a minute it switches to a thin green line.  Then it will switch to a plain white battery.  The computer will usually not have any message, but then will say it is safe to remove.  Then it willcome up that the usb device is corrupt or not working.  Then it will go back to nothing again. Unplug it after hours and it is still dead. It isn’t much fun.

I have the same problem with repairing my FUZE 8GB.I have made NUMEROUS requests for help and do what they say,but my player deletes songs internally and with memory cards.Tech support is jerking me around and they seem as if they dont want it returned,probably because the warrant runs out in 3 months and they have been feeding me all this useless crap for weeks now and wasting hours of my time.It’s no skin off their back to fix or replace this thing.Any suggestions?

I have learned that if they try to feed you lines, ask them to explain how/why it happens. When mine got the white screen and they said it was from a 2" fall that it took off my bed into my heavily padded floor, i told them that if that was true the brand is junk and to please explain to me HOW that is possible. ( i was upset, but wasn’t insulting to the person reading it (unless they were REALLY sensitive) and didn’t use bad language)

two days later i got my confirmation #. They want to have good customer service, but are trying to balance good customer service with profit… (oh and if you do get it returned, i reccomend calling them about 3 weeks after you send it in if it hasn’t been replaced yet. I have had to do that both time, one time it was after 3 months, and always got it sent back immediatly after that. don’t be passive and let them screw you over.

hope all works out for you

Emm :slight_smile: (btw, try calling. as tapeworm (i think it was) pointed out, email is easier, at least for me, but they can’t give you a answer that doesn’t fit the problem on the phone like they try to do over email.

I got my replacement yesterday.  Less than a week since I mailed the old one in.  Here’s the problem.  It still won’t talk with my computer.  Plug in in and it says it is charging.  After a few minutes it stops charging and just says it’s connected.  Then an icon will come on the bottom of the computer screen saying I can safely remove hardware.  Why doesn’t it just go in the computer and say “HERE I AM”?  Is that so hard?  What do I do? 

I just uninstalled the usb driver, (it had a yellow triangle) as described on the post from Chile I saw just below mine.  After rebooting I plugged in the Fuze, and it said “new hardware found” and “Sansa Fuze mass media device”. Yippee. A few minutes later it said it was corrupted.  I’m back where I was.  Any other advise?

Can you try to plug it in to another USB port? (mine doesn’t always read things how they were supposed to)

i would try maybe a different usb cord (maybe its sending info, but not allowing energy to come back, or whatev is needed to charge something, sorry my head is gone today)

and maybe try and see if you can get it to work with another computor. maybe its your comp thats the problem, not the fuze.

also, what kind of computor do you have? PC, mac…

Emm 

I tried 4 different ports, two on the back and two on the front.  I have a pc with windows XP. I don’t have another computer.  Both of my kids have no problem with their Ipods.

Well I think I got it to work.  At least it seems like it.  I had to use the tip on the post by the guy from Chile to hold the on switch down and hold the back button down.  Changes the mode, I don’t know or care.  Maybe that is the way the Ipods work, because they worked fine.  Do I have to plug it in the same way all the time?  I’ll mark this as solved if I can get it charged all the way, and songs loaded on it. I have hope.

The songs loaded good and it is playing fine.  I’d say the problem is solved.  The handshake with the computer shouldn’t be so complicated.

@kenn wrote:
Well I think I got it to work.  At least it seems like it.  I had to use the tip on the post by the guy from Chile to hold the on switch down and hold the back button down.  Changes the mode, I don’t know or care.  Maybe that is the way the Ipods work, because they worked fine.  Do I have to plug it in the same way all the time?  I’ll mark this as solved if I can get it charged all the way, and songs loaded on it. I have hope.

What you did forces an MSC connection (Mass Storage Class). It makes your player appear as a ‘dumb’ storage device (aka: flash or thumb drive). MTP mode (Media Transfer Protocol) makes your computer see your player as a device that requires ‘managing’, so it gets drivers and all sorts of other gobblety-**bleep** involved.

This can be changed manually on the device by going into Settings > System Settings > USB mode and setting it to MSC. Don’t rely on the Auto setting. :smiley:

@kenn wrote:

What you did forces an MSC connection (Mass Storage Class). It makes your player appear as a ‘dumb’ storage device (aka: flash or thumb drive). MTP mode (Media Transfer Protocol) makes your computer see your player as a device that requires ‘managing’, so it gets drivers and all sorts of other gobblety-goop involved.

This can be changed manually on the device by going into Settings > System Settings > USB mode and setting it to MSC. Don’t rely on the Auto setting. :smiley:

I will warn you though, when i had to manually switch between MPT and MSC, my computor always read the player, but after switching it, it would no longer read the music files on it, wouldn’t even show them. I had to delete(format) the entire 12gb and start over.

@emmnemms wrote:
I will warn you though, when i had to manually switch between MPT and MSC, my computor always read the player, but after switching it, it would no longer read the music files on it, wouldn’t even show them. I had to delete(format) the entire 12gb and start over.

That’s because files added in one mode are not visible or accessible while connected in the other mode. A quirk of Windows, not Sansa players.

I didn’t mean to blame it on sandisk, i was just trying to alert or caution him if everything disappears…