Fuze only displays weird characters or white screen

I’ve had my 8gb fuze (with an additional 8gb micro sd card) for three months.- I don’t have either the internal memory or the card quite filled to capacity as I’ve heard this can cause problems.  Over the last few weeks it’s started refreshing my media nearly every time I turn it on, even if it hasn’t been connected to a computer.  Also, if I’m rewinding through an audiobook, it will sometimes suddenly start refreshing my media while I’m rewinding (maybe it would do this with music too but I generally only rewind audiobooks).  This has been frustrating, but tolerable. 

But then yesterday I was rewinding an audiobook, it refreshed my media, and now when I turn it on it does one of two things: it either displays a white screen, or it will show just one artist (I have at least a hundred) and the name of the artist is the number 3 followed by what appears to be a square shape.  If I try to play that “artist” nothing happens.

When I connect the fuze to the computer, everything looks normal and I can see all my music.  I can’t see my firmware but I updated when I got the player in november so it’s whatever version was current then.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks.

Just to clarify, I found plenty of posts about a white screen but nothing on the weird characters, so I assume this is a different problem. 

It may not be 100% of the problem, but I’d start by running ChkDsk to check for and fix any errors with the files themselves.

I believe another thread suggested formatting and re-installing the firmware for the ‘white screen syndrome’, but try the ChkDsk first, and see what, if anything that finds and/or fixes before continuing.

@jhx wrote:
Just to clarify, I found plenty of posts about a white screen but nothing on the weird characters, so I assume this is a different problem. 

It’s probably a symptom of a very confused Fuze :)   If you have all your songs on your computer, the simply route to take is format the Fuze and reload your songs.

If you can get to the Settings menu on your Fuze format it through the Fuze,   If not, plug it into the computer,  open Windows Explorer  locate the Fuze,  in MTP mode open up the Fuze and right click on Internal Memory to format the Fuze.    or   in MSC mode  right click the First “Sansa Fuze” removable drive and right click to format.

Once formatted.  unplug the Fuze

then Reformat the drive through its Settings menu (there is a technical reason to do with cluster size, that you want to format it with its own internal format that uses FAT32 cluster size of 32KB.   )

Once the Fuze is alive,  reload your songs

If it still give’s you issues try reinstalling your Firmware  (see the firmware thread at the top of the forum).

Cheers :slight_smile:

I did purchase  2 Sansa Fuze both of them just went on a white screen.  I contacted tech support and we did a lot of troubleshooting and we end up with an rma.  I guess there is no fix for this one and its a hardware issue. 

Probably 2 From the same batch and the whole batch is bad. Too bad. Good luck on the Replacements.

Thank you everyone for the prompt and helpful suggestions - this forum is a great resource.  I took Tapeworms’ suggestion and ran the disk check utility on Windows; unfortunately that didn’t fix the problem.  I’ll try reformatting next, and then reinstalling firmware - hopefully I won’t need to RMA it. 

Good Luck!

There are a couple of ‘white screen’ threads that have popped up here in the last few days. The fact that we’ve gone months without hearing any complaints about this and then suddenly, several people are having the same issue does at least suggest that a bad batch might have escaped the factory as CB mentioned.

Hopefully not!

"I did purchase 2 Sansa Fuze both of them just went on a white screen. I contacted tech support and we did a lot of troubleshooting and we end up with an rma. I guess there is no fix for this one and its a hardware issue. "

Before deciding that it is a hardware problem, try downloading the firmware again and installing it. Weird behavior can sometimes be due to the firmware in the player becoming corrupted. If this doesn’t help, then the problem is probably a hardware one.

Thanks again for the advice. My fuze is 3 months old so I’m not sure if it’s the same manufacturing batch as those recently purchased.  

One question: should I try reformatting first, or can I try reinstalling firmware without reformatting (I’d rather not have to reload all my music)?

@jhx wrote:

Thanks again for the advice. My fuze is 3 months old so I’m not sure if it’s the same manufacturing batch as those recently purchased.  

One question: should I try reformatting first, or can I try reinstalling firmware without reformatting (I’d rather not have to reload all my music)?

You can backup your music first.   Drag and drop your Fuze’s music directory to your PC.  

I’d format, then reinstall the firmware. Then I’d format again ><    then reload your music. 

Your trying to return the Fuze to it’s virginal condition with a fresh firmware.   Then reload your music.

Thank you - should I remove the microsd card prior to formatting?

OK, this is unexpected (but in a good way).  I choose the format option from withing the fuze (didn’t remove the SD card).  It said formatting and then about 30 seconds later I looked at the screen and it said “refreshing media” - I was surprised the format was so quick.  And then a minute after that I checked the player and it was working perfectly, with all my music still on there.

Should I count my blessings and thank the higher powers for having mercy on a lonely man on valentine’s day?  Or should I attempt to format again?

Just reinstall the Firmware to be safe.

@jhx wrote:

Should I count my blessings and thank the higher powers for having mercy on a lonely man on valentine’s day?  Or should I attempt to format again?

Definitely!

And don’t question fate . . . if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it! :wink: