Fuze MSC connexion problem

Hi all,

I recently bought a Sansa Fuze (recieved it last week) which was working fine on my Windows 2000 system when plugged in MSC mode.

So i did a firmware update (to v01.01.22a) on a Windows XP system to get OGG and FLAC support, it still worked fine on Windows 2000 in MSC mode after that (transfered several tunes, enjoying the very good sound quality of the device :smiley:).

But then i formatted it using its internal format option, and now Windows 2000 won’t reconize the internal memory.

It connects as Mass Storage Device on the system, and adds 2 “Sansa Fuze 2gb” elements in the disk section of the Windows system manager (supposedly one for internal memory and the other for the MicroSD slot).

If i got a MicroSD card plugged in the Fuze, a drive letter gets assigned to it and i can read/write on it. But the internal memory doesn’t appear at all.

When i go to Windows drive management, the internal memory actualy shows here as a drive, its capacity is displayed and accurate, but the “type” is unreconized.

It’s still working fine on Windows XP, i tried it on the computer where i did the firmware update as well as another one on which it had never been plugged on before.

I really don’t see what the problem is…

I tried uninstalling the 2 “Sansa Fuze 2gb” elements from the Windows system manager. But when redetected, the internal memory still doesn’t show up…

OK i “resolved” the problem.

It seems the onboard format system of the Fuze doesn’t create a proper FAT structure or something. This can be handled by some “flexible” systems (like XP) but not by some others (like 2000).

So what i did has been :

• plugging the Fuze on a Windows XP computer where the Fuze internal memory was accessible.

• copying the whole dirs and files from the Fuze internal memory to a temporary dir on the computer.

• fast-formatting the Fuze internal memory using the computer (leaving all options as they were set already, like FAT filesystem and “SANSA FUZE” as name, just setting fast-format mode).

• copying back the dirs and files from the temporary dir to the Fuze internal memory.

Now the internal memory is reconized by Windows 2000 again, so i can happily use the Fuze on my main computer.

Maybe some Linux users face the same problem, reading various messages here…

Message Edited by dma on 01-14-2009 02:43 PM

@dma wrote:

Maybe some Linux users face the same problem, reading various messages here…

Not really, even after a format we rebel Linux users can see the file system fine. The only difference is that the device mounts as /media/disk instead of /media/SANSA FUZE.

Linux recognises ALOT more file system types than Windows ever will, and I mean EVER, till the end of time. It’s like the different types of processors it runs on, Windows has about 3, Linux has about 64. (the entire x86 and 64bit x86 family line is counted as 1)

Wow, you seem like a naturally angry person hazza, i don’t really see why you had to put “rebel” here.

Cool down man, nothing wrong against Linux here, just trying to help. :manwink:

hazza wrote: 

Linux recognises ALOT more file system types than Windows ever will, and I mean EVER, till the end of time. It’s like the different types of processors it runs on, Windows has about 3, Linux has about 64. (the entire x86 and 64bit x86 family line is counted as 1)

I got Linux running on this processor.  I think it will take some wacky adapter cable to load my Clip from it.

@dma wrote:

Wow, you seem like a naturally angry person hazza, i don’t really see why you had to put “rebel” here.

Cool down man, nothing wrong against Linux here, just trying to help. :manwink:

Hazza wasn’t being angry (at least the way I read it). I don’t believe he (or she) was ‘hot’ either. As Linux users are in the minority (although growing day by day), he simply referred to those willing to venture forth outside of the safe Windows bubble as ‘rebels’. The same was said of Apple users not that long ago.

He was merely stating reasons why he and his fellow ‘rebels’ think Linux is a superior system to Windows. Maybe iti s, I’m too dumb to know anything about it, but I don’t think it’s ready for world domination just yet. :wink:

@dma wrote:

Cool down man, nothing wrong against Linux here, just trying to help.

Hazza wasn’t being angry (at least the way I read it). I don’t believe he (or she) was ‘hot’ either. As Linux users are in the minority (although growing day by day), he simply referred to those willing to venture forth outside of the safe Windows bubble as ‘rebels’. The same was said of Apple users not that long ago.

He was merely stating reasons why he and his fellow ‘rebels’ think Linux is a superior system to Windows. Maybe it is, I’m too dumb to know anything about it (and freely admit it), but I don’t think it’s ready for world domination just yet. :wink:

@tapeworm wrote:

He was merely stating reasons why he and his fellow ‘rebels’ think Linux is a superior system to Windows. Maybe it is, I’m too dumb to know anything about it (and freely admit it), but I don’t think it’s ready for world domination just yet. :wink:

Yes it is and I have heard that this year is “The year that Linux takes off”… for the last 8-10 years… :slight_smile:

I just laugh and not really care every time I read that. Linux is the best solution for me, you (by that I mean anyone) could probably switch but whether the time and effort is worth it to do so is something I cannot answer. If you are willing to try, I (and thousands of others) are willing to help you.

For the record, I wasn’t angry, I was merely opening peoples eyes to the fact that there is more to computing than the Start button.

BTW Did you know that 95% of e-mail sent on the internet will pass through a single open source program (from memory it’s sendmail… or is it postfix…). It puts a lie to the “Oh, theres more viruses for Windows because it’s so popular” myth. There are many other lies and myths about the excuses for the cr*p poor less than excellent security record of Windows but I won’t bore you with them.

Message Edited by hazza on 01-16-2009 05:07 AM

A little off topic.   I’m not eager to have Windows be the embedded OS for my car.

airbag error 

@hazza wrote:

For the record, I wasn’t angry, I was merely opening peoples eyes to the fact that there is more to computing than the Start button.

Ever wonder why when you want to TURN OFF your computer with Windows you have to go to the START button?

Shouldn’t this button be more appropriately named END or STOP? :smileyvery-happy:

@tapeworm wrote:

Ever wonder why when you want to TURN OFF your computer with Windows you have to go to the START button?

Shouldn’t this button be more appropriately named END or STOP? :smileyvery-happy:

I always tell people is that it is to “Start” the shut down process.