Fuze locking up?

Hi there,

Just got a 4gb Fuze the other day - nifty little player!

After doing the firmware update in it this weekend, I started noticing frequent freeze-ups.  Reading on the forums here, I thought maybe it was .mp3 bitrate issues, but I noticed that it also happens when listening to the radio.

Now here’s what’s weird (at least to me):  the player will continue to play music (radio or .mp3 - will even progress through files) - but will not respond to any external controls, and requires a reset (holding power switch for 10 seconds) in order to turn off.

Any thoughts or insights would be greatly appreciated, as this is rather annoying.

Try reloading the firmware file.  You can verify the installed version via Settings > System Settings > Info.

As long as you have backup music, sometimes using the device’s Format command works wonders, ensuring that your device has optimized memory with 32KB clusters.

If you are running into freeze-ups with specific files, there may corruptions; the chkdsk utility from Windows is quite useful.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Thanks for the tips - I’ll definately give them a shot.

Message Edited by derangedlunatec on 03-03-2009 12:39 PM

Well, an update.

As suggested, I formatted and reloaded the firmware.  No joy, still locking up on both files and radio.

I suspected that it might have something to do with power saving options, so I turned them off.  That made no difference either.

Any other suggestions before I take it back to the store and swap it out?

What did you use to encode the files? Is it possible that the files were corrupted when you encoded them, this would cause issues with playback on your computer as well.

There’s no problem with the playback.  Playback is smooth, and the Fuze even progresses from one file to another.  The problem is only with the controls on the Fuze - nothing displayed on the screen, it responds to no inputs, and requires a reset to even turn it off. 

Note that this not only happens when playing files, but also with listening to the FM radio tuner.  Because of this, I have doubts that the issue is with the files.

Sounds like there may indeed be a hardware issue, especially if the Fuze if freezing when the FM radio is selected. 

Depending upon where you purchased your Fuze, and the amount of time passed (all vendors vary, of course), you may be able to make a simple exchange for a replacement device.  This method often is the simplest, especially if you purchased the device locally.

SanDisk warrants the Fuze for one full year.  You can contact Support at 1-866-SANDISK for assistance.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

I’ve just had the same issue with my 4gb version - exactly as you described it.

Tried just about everything I could think of but to no avail.

Those nice people at QVC have sent me a replacement which I will get tomorrow.

I’d return it if you can and get a swap out.

Good luck!

I switched my Fuze out over the weekend, and have not had the same problem with the new one.

Thanks for all the help!