Fuze doesn't charge completely

Hey there,

I just upgraded from my old e200 to a new fuze. I had a couple issues that the firmware update seemed to fix, however:

I can’t get the player to charge completely. When I connect it to my computer the ‘charging’ battery icon appears, but the icon never reaches the ‘completely charged’ image shown in the manual. I left it connected for over four hours, but when I returned the player had stopped charging and the icon was at half full. At no point have I been able to fully charge the battery.

Can anyone suggest a solution? Is the player defective?

Thanks for helping! 

Start with a soft reset, slide power switch up and hold for 15-20 seconds. It may be that something isnt loading properly. Make sure your plugged in to the back of your PC, and dont use a hub. If you can eliminate those things… I would return it because it sounds defective.

Can you tell me if the battery icon is supposed to stop animating and show a completely green bar while fully charged and still connected? While charging the fuze shows the animated, ‘moving green bar’ icon, but then changes so that only the last third of the bar animates back and forth, leaving most of the bar solid green. My e200 never did this, and I took it to mean that the player was still charging. I think I’ve managed to fully charge the thing, or at least the bar is solid green, but only appeared that way after I disconnected the player. Is this normal (ie, an only partially blinking bar is the closest thing to full as the player will show while connected) or is something still wrong? The manual mentions nothing about this.

Thanks for your help! 

@twolf29 wrote:

Can you tell me if the battery icon is supposed to stop animating and show a completely green bar while fully charged and still connected? While charging the fuze shows the animated, ‘moving green bar’ icon, but then changes so that only the last third of the bar animates back and forth, leaving most of the bar solid green. My e200 never did this, and I took it to mean that the player was still charging. I think I’ve managed to fully charge the thing, or at least the bar is solid green, but only appeared that way after I disconnected the player. Is this normal (ie, an only partially blinking bar is the closest thing to full as the player will show while connected) or is something still wrong? The manual mentions nothing about this.

Thanks for your help! 

If it’s animated when plugged in, but solid green when you disconnect, then you’re almost there! If it’s completely charged and plugged in, then yes, it becomes solid green.

Should it take this long to charge the first time? I left it plugged in for nearly six hours and still never saw a completely green bar while the player was connected. Should I still return it?

@twolf29 wrote:
Should it take this long to charge the first time? I left it plugged in for nearly six hours and still never saw a completely green bar while the player was connected. Should I still return it?

It could. Mine took 8 my cousin’s took 1. Plug it in and let it go overnight and see what happens. 

On a related note, is the battery supposed to feel wrm while charging? I don’t mean super hot, but the back of the unit feels noticebly warm. Is this normal or could it be a symptom of this possible battery problem?

Thanks 

Duting the initial charge period, it is normal for the Sansa to feel warm, but not hot.  As the charge level increases, the Sansa should feel noticeably cooler, as the device drops the charge rate.

µsansa