Fuze causes problems with new Gigabyte mb

I know this may sound weird but with the help of some others and a lot of time put into it I’ve found the Fuze causes problem with my new Gigabyte EP45-UD3R motherboard. 

I was getting weird behaviour and reboot problems, flaky stuff.  Once I narrowed it down to my USB devices I then narrowed it down to the Fuze.

Anyone know anything about this at all?

Had not heard that one, and I am supprised as Gigabyte is usually really good with this kinda stuff. How are your USBs supported on that board?

@sbmongoos wrote:

I know this may sound weird but with the help of some others and a lot of time put into it I’ve found the Fuze causes problem with my new Gigabyte EP45-UD3R motherboard. 

I was getting weird behaviour and reboot problems, flaky stuff.  Once I narrowed it down to my USB devices I then narrowed it down to the Fuze.

This is surprising,  a USB device shouldn’t effect your computer and cause it to reboot.    Have you tried your Fuze in another computer?   I would suspect your Gigabyte USB drivers are buggy.   Is there updates? 

@niko_sama wrote:

@sbmongoos wrote:

This is surprising,  a USB device shouldn’t effect your computer and cause it to reboot.    Have you tried your Fuze in another computer?   I would suspect your Gigabyte USB drivers are buggy.   Is there updates? 

Actually Niko, I have seen this with off brand Motherboards, with complex USB devices. They conflict so much that the motherboard runs a shutdown self protection utility, to try and save any damage. However i do believe that what we both said about updating USB support is the best bet. 

In addition to making sure you have the latest chipset drivers, I’d also look for a BIOS update.

The latest SP for your OS probably wouldn’t hurt either.

I should have given this another day before posting.  But I have the answer and will pass it on here.

In the BIOS with the EP45-UD3R (Gigabyte is not an off brand but very good Mb and has been around some time - understood Dell has used them) there is a setting under Integrated Peripherals.  It’s called “Legacy USB Storage Detect”. If this is enabled it will attempt to boot off of a USB device. The Fuze, like others, will come on as soon as your PC comes on.  It was trying to boot from the Fuze and causing flaky issues.  Once I disabled it the problem was solved.

I should have caught this myself.  Arghhh… 

Strange, I have that motherboard and I haven’t had to to anything in the BIOS (BIOS version F6). Either way It’s good to see the problem resolved.

Message Edited by Junebug on 02-04-2009 01:31 PM