FUZE bit rate

HI ALL: I am new to this mp3 stuff. I just bought a new 4gb fuze. I am riping my music in mp3 192 bit rate. Can I use a better formate and better bit rate on my mp3 player?

You can’t go wrong with 192KBPS.  Rip away!

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Yes, you can use a higher bit rate while ripping your CDs and play them on you Fuze.  A lot of people now rip their music with a mathematically lossless codec like FLAC, or some OGG codec, WMA lossless, or other codecs (however, supoort on the player itself for FLAC is forthcoming, that is, you will have to tanscode from FLAC to something else for it to play on your Fuze until the new firmware is released).

Personally speaking, because of how and where I use my player (and the fact that I don’t own ultra-high quality ear buds), I find that transcoding from FLAC to 256 CBR (that’s Constant Bit Rate) or 192 VBR (Variable Bit Rate) MP3 files are the best tradeoff for sound quality with space.  Your mileage may vary.

@hbar98 wrote:

Yes, you can use a higher bit rate while ripping your CDs and play them on you Fuze.  A lot of people now rip their music with a mathematically lossless codec like FLAC, or some OGG codec, WMA lossless, or other codecs (however, supoort on the player itself for FLAC is forthcoming, that is, you will have to tanscode from FLAC to something else for it to play on your Fuze until the new firmware is released).

Personally speaking, because of how and where I use my player (and the fact that I don’t own ultra-high quality ear buds), I find that transcoding from FLAC to 256 CBR (that’s Constant Bit Rate) or 192 VBR (Variable Bit Rate) MP3 files are the best tradeoff for sound quality with space.  Your mileage may vary.

This is exactly what I do and highly recomend it.  If you are going to rip any significant number of CDs it’s best to use a lossless format (FLAC being the most widely supported).  Then you can always transcode to any desired codec/bitrate.  If you rip straight to a lossy format then you’re pretty much stuck since transcoding from one lossy format to another can severly degrade sound quality.

Most decent media player programs (like Winamp) can handle the transcoding automatically when sending files to the Fuze.