Future Audible Support?

When my last mp3 player died, I went to the audible site and looked for a player that would play videos but still be compatible with audible.  The sansa E200v2 series was listed and when I clicked on the link for more info, the player I ended up buying was listed - E250.  Now, when I try to get Audible to recognize it, it says I need to upgrade my firmware.  I’m perfectly willing, but can’t seem to find the firmware upgrade they are talking about.  Any ideas?

I just reviewed the e200 User Manual that is available off the website, and on page 37 it has the following statement:

What music file formats does the Sansa e200 support?

The Sansa MP3 Player will support MP3, WAV, WMA, secure WMA, and Audible.

My emphasis.

I called tech support and was told that this manual is for the "New" e200 release coming up. No dates or any other clue as to when. I did get one comment that "it might be sooner than expected". How cryptic can they get.

Does anyone know the current firmware version #? Mine is on 01.02.12A.

When can we expect the next firmware upgrade?

And will it include audible support? Having the ability to listen to audible books would be a great feature for our players. I have seen the reference to audible support on page 37 in the manual.

Is the new e200 v2 firmware compatible with the original e200 players?

Well, according to all I read on here, elsewhere on the 'Net, on Audible’s website, and on the AnythingButIpod.com forums… it would appear that, currently, only the new ‘v2’ version of the e200 and c200 players will have Audible support, and, currently, there is no plan to put out a firmware update for the current v1 models.

Needless to say, if this is true, then apparently I put a lot more faith in Sandisk than was deserved. :cry: A lot more.

I know that, at this point, there’s really no hope of a moderator coming by to clear this up (seeing as how the second time one showed up, they said the exact same thing the first moderator’s post did…), this is probably pointless, but it’s worth asking: what difference, if any, is there between the new ‘v1’ and ‘v2’ devices that make it impossible to bring over Audible support? Honestly, I can’t see how there’d be any difference, because if there was enough of one, why would they not have a whole new version? And, beyond that, why is there no plans to bring out Audible support? There can’t possibly be not enough support.

Frankly, the whole thing smacks of a badly handled situation, and no explanation from the moderators doesn’t help either. If this is how it’s going to play, needless to say this will be the last Sandisk product I personally purchase. And it appears the list of media-players I can use grows shorter, with Creative Labs and RCA already off the list…

My only hope is what Enigma posted in a similar-topic thread here about technical-support seeing the response from the users about this and talking to marketing (to which I have to add, in all honesty, ‘ya think?!’ And ‘Hello? Hello? Anybody home, huh? Think, McFly! Think!’)

And, on another note, if you want to see Audible support, please post here, so we can get as many people showing their opinion on this.

Message Edited by Shannon_Fox on 11-12-2007 12:41 PM

heck yeah I want Audible support! I seem to have a gift for buying players that Audible doesn’t support and thoguht i had finally gotten it right with my e270. :angry:

Yes, I also want to ask SanDisk to come up with an honset technically sound answer. Is this a question of:

a) support

b) software/firmware

c) hardware

This will help us figure out if we should hope for audible books support.

Thank you for reading it.

I saw no response from SanDisk regarding audible support. So I did the only thing I could do and spent $50 on Sansa Express and now I listen to audio books daily.

I also registered just so I could voice my support for a firmware upgrade that includes audible support.  PLEASE!

I just recently received a SanDisk connect for Christmas, but it is still in the box. I listen to audible avidly and I am not sure I want to have a player that cannot support Audible. I like the other features the player offers, but it looks like SanDisk can’t giver a concrete answer weather the Connect will support Audible.  I am leaning toward taking it back, any suggestions?

Ok, I am now in for adding audible support to e200 sansa -:angry: Actually this is ridiculous and frustrating. Reading all these posts tells me that I have made a mistake in choosing Sansa for our use. It is fine for my some of my children and grandchildren apparently as they use just music -  currently. BUT I know that my 11 year old grandson will want some books from audible to use during a trip he is taking. I am not sure I have the heart to tell him that it will not work.

I too was under the impression that these worked with audible. Actually my original checks even on the Audible site did not indicate that only the v2 was compatible. I do see that it now shows it:cry: I did get a nice price on them but at the same time I will have to replace all the one  I just bought. And It will NOT be with any Sandisk product. I simply do not see the point in having this much problem and discussion about a partially supported feature and one that is seriously needed and used by many people BUT no firmware update, NO information - AND the cheaper models HAVE it!! Come on now.

Since it should be an easy enough fix if they have it other models and have added it to v2, then it must come down to Sandisk having to spend money on something that they don’t see cash in their pockets for. We have already paid for our current ones - so they must think we will just buy the new ones and they will make money. If we continue to replace these with their new ones, then why should they “fix” it. 

Now  I just have to figure out which other brand(s) on the market will do audible, with book marks or place holders and will do music and video.- that company should get our business. Even in this era, customer service and cae should make the difference in choosing our purchases.

Any suggestions for replacements?

I have an e250 v1 and would also like to see a firmware upgrade.

I am also adding my vote to this cause.  I purchased an e260 v1 after reading that a firmware upgrade with Audible support was coming in the future.  If no support is forthcoming it would be good for customer relations for SanDisk to at least provide some sort of explanation or excuse after driving on to v2 - or even better - some incentive to stay loyal as early adopters of the e200s.  Otherwise I am afraid it this will tip the scales for me to other company’s products in the future. I will remember this because it was an important factor in my original purchase decision.

All,

Since Sandisk tech support has been unusually silent on the boards, I’m guessing that there is a hardware difference between V1 and V2, and that a V1 device can not, even with a FW upgrade, be made Audible compatible.

Here’s what I suggest – why don’t a few of you who have V1 devices call Tech Support, explain that you bought it based on information (on the web or otherwise) that it was Audible compatible, and see if they will exchange yours for a V2 device.  Post the results here.  This should be interesting.

Steve

P.S.  Sandisk, this business of a silent HW roll that provides enhanced functionality is lunacy.  If it’s new hardware, give it a new mdel number for crying out loud.  But I’ll be you know that by now.

Message Edited by stestardi on 01-19-2008 06:59 PM

I too purchased an e250.  I bought it in August, primarily for listening to books.  I knew I would be getting a gift membership in Audible.com for Christmas.  Today I downloaded my first book only to find that the player I have is not compatible.  I was careful to check the list of compatible devices at audible.com prior to purchase.  There was no mention of V1 or V2.  I am extremely disappointed after reading the comments here.  SanDisk needs to provide a SOLUTION to our problem.  Rest assured I will not buy another SanDisk media player in the future if this is not resolved.

Update to my  earlier post.  On Monday January 21st at 9:57 am  eastern  time I sent an email to Sandisk support voicing my extreme disappointment with the lack of support for Audible. I asked  for an exchange of my V1 e250 for a V2.  I have not received a reply, not even an acknowledgement of my message.  I am  shocked and disappointed with the rude uncaring attitude SanDisk is exhibiting. 

bstarr wrote:
Update to my  earlier post.  On Monday January 21st at 9:57 am  eastern  time I sent an email to Sandisk support voicing my extreme disappointment with the lack of support for Audible. I asked  for an exchange of my V1 e250 for a V2.  I have not received a reply, not even an acknowledgement of my message.  I am  shocked and disappointed with the rude uncaring attitude SanDisk is exhibiting. 

I’d suggest calling the Tech Support line and pressuring them to give you a yes or no answer.  Sandisk has been ignoring this thread, so it’s no surprise they would ignore an email.  Pin down a tech, and let us know what he says.

From what I’ve heard from the AnythingButIpod.com forums, the new e200v2 uses the same chip the Sansa Clip uses, so it’s definitely new hardware… though assuming the old ‘v1’ Sansas have hardware that won’t work with Audible (which seems unlikely, and short-sighted on Sandisk’s part… but, hey, we’ve all learned both can happen with this company in equal measure recently…), then that would make what was originally posted by the mods in this threat a load of road-apples. If they’d came right out and said ‘we’re sorry; the Sansa e200 series hardware does not support Audible playback’, which they should’ve known if the hardware would always be incompatible, I know I’d personally have marched myself right back to Best Buy and gotten another unit that did offer support…

But maybe that’s the point, right? I’d like to think not, but as you can see, I thought Sandisk wouldn’t do something so incredible short-sighted as release a new version of one of their products, with a feature a lot of people wanted and more besides, and ignore all attempts to ask about it. They’re clearly intending the v2 to replace the v1 completely, if the replacement of them through their RMA program is any indication, from what I hear.

So I’m personally going to contact Tech Support over the phone, and won’t hesitate to get ahold of someone until I get a straight answer. If it does turn out to be incompatible hardware (again, unlikely, but certainly possible), then I’m going to get them to replace my unit with a new v2… and if they want to complain, then they’re more than welcome to get in touch with RCA to verify that I’m more than happy to contact my legal consultation service…

Update:

Read it and weep folks.

I took your advice testardi and called Tech Support.  The rep flatly refused to give me a yes or no answer as to a firmware update, said he didn’t want to give me false hope.  When I insisted on speaking with higher authority he transferred me to Customer Support.  I explained the issue AGAIN to the woman rep who then placed me on hold.  After several minutes I was greeted by yet another woman who asked what she could do for me.  I asked her to access my previous rep’s incident writeup, but surprise, surprise, there was no record.  I explained the issue AGAIN.  She excused herself to research and placed me on hold.  When she came back on the line I was informed as follows. 

1.  SanDisk will NEVER add support for Audible .aa files to the original e200 series devices. 

2.   I then requested that SanDisk exchange my e250 for an e250 v2 device.  Nothing doing here either because “there is nothing wrong with your player”.

Here I am with a  $100  e250, a $35  expansion  card and a $150 Audible.com subscription,  four days of frustration and aggravation, and I can’t  and never will be able to listen to a book from audible.com on my SanDisk e250.

Will I ever buy another SanDisk mp3 player?  Noooooooooo, never!!!.  i river or Creative will get my money.

So the question is, is this something they’ve always known, or is this something that they just recently decided on… unfortunately, I’m going to lean towards the former, since I can’t see them skipping inclusion of the Audible format from the beginning and planning on putting it in later. So either their forum-moderators were misinformed, or… well, who knows.

To say I’ll never personally purchase a Sandisk product again as long as I live would be an understatement, but I’ll definitely be talking to someone at my legal service about this, to see what my options are…

Good show, Sandisk. I’ve never seen such an incredible disrespect for the customer base before in my life. :angry: