Funny things kids do...

My 7-yr old son learned a valuable lesson yesterday while playing with his Clip, well at least I hope he did.  All I could do was laugh when he said, “Mom, maybe I should have asked this first - what does “Format” do?  ‘Albums’ is empty.”  Yep, that’s what “Format” does.  :) 

I taught him how to copy/paste all of the music back onto his MP3 player as a deterrent against that happening again!  But, of course, it only took him about 20 minutes and he thought it was fun…

kmk_01kmk wrote:

My 7-yr old son learned a valuable lesson yesterday while playing with his Clip, well at least I hope he did.  All I could do was laugh when he said, “Mom, maybe I should have asked this first - what does “Format” do?  ‘Albums’ is empty.”  Yep, that’s what “Format” does.  :) 

I taught him how to copy/paste all of the music back onto his MP3 player as a deterrent against that happening again!  But, of course, it only took him about 20 minutes and he thought it was fun…

. . . the first time. I doubt this is something he’ll be wanting to do on a regular basis, so he’ll probably stay away from the Format command in the future. Let’s hope he doesn’t do the same thing with the C:\ drive of the computer. :dizzy_face:

All in all, experience is the best teacher.

I always fear an inadvertent erasing or reformatting.  Nicely, Windows generally stores deleted files in the Trash folder 'til emptied (or until space is needed?).

I don’t remember what device it was, but an earlier device I had required a special combination button press to reformat–would be a great precautionary idea!