Fun with "FAT is corrupted"

This isn’t a question post, merely wanted to share.

I spent a couple hours last night staring at “FAT is corrupted. Please connect device to PC and recover FAT.” on my v1 Fuze—it was my fault, I should mention; I was getting a bit overzealous in my attempts to figure out why the main player wasn’t automounting and thus showing up in quodlibet on my Ubuntu lucid test system.

But, oh, man, was I panicky.  I tried everything I could think of.  Booting in XP, using my work computer, hold switch+left, hold switch+center… nothing worked.  Kept getting “device descriptor read/64, error -110” in my dmesg.  Kept hanging up on that red screen, requiring a hold-power off.

Tossed in the towel an hour past when I should have been in bed, musing over whether it’d be best to wait and see if there was going to be a Fuze+ or what.  (Amusingly, I am now also the owner of an iPod Touch, though it’s for gaming and Internet stuff; I don’t really like using it for music so much.  So the idea that I had to have a Fuze for music was never questioned.)

Arrived at work all depressed today, figuring I could still listen on the netbook at my desk, at least.  I dejectedly plugged it in in its normal state, no hold switch, no buttons depressed, thought hey, maybe it’ll decide to MSC at some point during the day and I’ll have a pleasant surprise.

That moment came seconds later. Blew my mind. :smiley:

I’m really curious why it suddenly decided to work, but I’m not tempting fate.  Opened up the disk utility, gave it a new MBR and FAT partition, then crossed my fingers and booted the player normally for the on-device format.  Crikey.

It really made me think about how much I love this little thing.  It ain’t gapless, and it makes me rage when it thinks the microSD is ejected sometimes, requiring a rescan of so… very… much… music, but I’ve had it a year and a quarter and I don’t want to give it up for anything

Message Edited by zigg on 03-18-2010 10:50 AM