frys.com: 8gb and 16gb microsd cards, $10 and $18 after rebate ($2 shipping)

frys.com has Polaroid 8 and 16GB microSD cards on sale right now at $10 and $18, after rebate (with shipping at only $2).

Nice.  (But not SanDisk cards, unfortunately.)

:wink:

Maybe Sansa should buy some of those 16gb Polaroid chips for $18 and slap them inside the Clip+. At a suggested retail price of say $89 Sansa could make a boatload of money. Clearly, profit maximization and meeting customer demand are not part of Sansa’s business model…

How does giving money to their competitor maximize Sandisk’s profit?

Robisan wrote:
Maybe Sansa should buy some of those 16gb Polaroid chips for $18 and slap them inside the Clip+. At a suggested retail price of say $89 Sansa could make a boatload of money. Clearly, profit maximization and meeting customer demand are not part of Sansa’s business model…

SanDisk makes their own memory cards . . . or haven’t you heard. In fact, they probably make the ones Polaroid (and a lot of other sub-brands) buys and puts _ their _ moniker on.

I’m guessing the real cost at the manufacturing level for these cards range from about 3 cents (2GB) to maybe 47 cents (32GB) a piece. Then you add in the cost of product development, marketing, advertising, wages, insurance, taxes, packaging, royalty and/or licence fees, hookers [I mean] consultants for the ‘mucky-mucks’ (high-level & over paid execs) and pretty soon you realize why the new 32GB card retailed at $200 when it was released. :stuck_out_tongue:

I think that at least part of the point was, if Polaroid/PNY can sell a 16GB microSD card for $18 retail (after rebate), why can’t SanDisk put 16GB of memory in a Clip+, still sell it at a nice consumer price, and make a nice profit?

Keep in mind, new products tend to come out August-October …

@tapeworm wrote:


@robisan wrote:
Maybe Sansa should buy some of those 16gb Polaroid chips for $18 and slap them inside the Clip+. At a suggested retail price of say $89 Sansa could make a boatload of money. Clearly, profit maximization and meeting customer demand are not part of Sansa’s business model…


SanDisk makes their own memory cards . . . or haven’t you heard.

Try turning on your snark and sarcasm detector…

Personally, I just want someone to put 8 of those cards in a player, for a 128GB flash jukebox player …  I’ll happily pay the $144 for memory plus cost of the player.

:wink:

Miikerman wrote:

Personally, I just want someone to put 8 of those cards in a player, for a 128GB flash jukebox player …  I’ll happily pay the $144 for memory plus cost of the player.

 

:wink:

I’d be content with 64GB…I don’t need all of my music with me.:wink:

(I hate to say it, but, that’s the iPod Touch …)

Miikerman wrote:
(I hate to say it, but, that’s the iPod Touch …)

I wouldn’t want one…no customizable EQ. Same with the 64GB ZuneHD. Apprently there is a 64GB Creative Zen X-Fi2, but the newer Creative players suck compared to the old ones. There is a 64GB Sony, the A847…not yet sold in the US, but finally available in the EU in August with English menus, so it could end up here eventually.

It’s odd to me that there’s this gap.  Apple has a nice app. device, SanDisk a nice mini-device, but no one a killer jukebox device.  And there’s big bucks there. 

Miikerman wrote:
It’s odd to me that there’s this gap.  Apple has a nice app. device, SanDisk a nice mini-device, but no one a killer jukebox device.  And there’s big bucks there. 

The vast majority of the market is perfectly happy with their 4GB Shuffles and 8GB Nanos…Even the Touch probably sells the most in its 8GB capacity. People like us are the minority, which is why I don’t imagine we’ll see anything bigger than 64GBwith flash memory for a while. Just imagine…a 128GB flash player, it would retail for probably $500 :dizzy_face: , if Apple sold it.

Message Edited by Marvin_Martian on 07-19-2010 11:34 PM

@miikerman wrote:

Personally, I just want someone to put 8 of those cards in a player, for a 128GB flash jukebox player …  I’ll happily pay the $144 for memory plus cost of the player.

 

:wink:

And based on the retail price of a 2gb Clip+ the cost of the player should only be about $30. A 128gb flash Clip+ for about $175? Sounds about right … and will happen right around never…

Given the way memory has been going, I easily could see it yet this year (although unlikely) or next.  The unknown for me is whether a manf. could string a bunch of 16GB memory cards together, or would this all have to await a mega-sized card.

As to pricing, do recall that the first iPod (and competing players) came out at $500.  Although prices have come down since then (and inflation up, so that $500 then would be more now …), I can see many people willing to pay $300-$400 for a flash jukebox player.  And again, if 16GB cards could be obtained at $18 and if the player hardware/software itself cost, say, $100, a manf. could make a nice profit and still have a price low enough that a market of people will buy, it seems to me.  Especially valuable, if you are the only one there in the field. 

As to who, SanDisk doesn’t do jukebox players (although, it’s still an opportunity!).  Likely, Apple would be the one–it just would have to add more memory to its iPod Touch, the r&d already having been done–absent an Asian manf. entering the field (unfortunately, iRiver abandoned this aspect of the market years ago, after its original 2 entrants).

16GB microSD card deal is back on at frys.com.  $17.99 after rebate ($1.99 shipping, or pick up at the store).

For whatever it’s worth, I purchased the card last month and it’s fine for the Clip+ (a Class 2 card, so loading onto the card may be longer than with a faster card).  And the rebate has worked fine, thus far; PNY acknowledged receipt, approval and processing of the rebate request within a week of my sending it in. 

http://www.frys.com/product/5885833?site=sa:Homepage:Spot1

And it’s _ very _ nice having a 24GB player the size of a matchbox.

:slight_smile:

@miikerman wrote:

 

And it’s _ very _ nice having a 24GB player the size of a matchbox.

 

:slight_smile:

Yes it is! :wink:

@tapeworm wrote:

 


@miikerman wrote:

 

And it’s _ very _ nice having a 24GB player the size of a matchbox.

 

:slight_smile:


Yes it is! :wink:

 

Sure is… I could have two of them if I wanted to take the card out of my Fuze and put it in the other Clip+.

o0(hmm…I could do that, and use the Fuze around the house for podcasts, and just the Clip+'s for tunes on the go…)

And so it was done…

@marvin_martian wrote:

 


@tapeworm wrote:

 


@miikerman wrote:

 

And it’s _ very _ nice having a 24GB player the size of a matchbox.

 

:slight_smile:


Yes it is! :wink:

 


 

Sure is… I could have two of them if I wanted to take the card out of my Fuze and put it in the other Clip+.

 

o0(hmm…I could do that, and use the Fuze around the house for podcasts, and just the Clip+'s for tunes on the go…)

 

And so it was done…

And so it shall be.

:stuck_out_tongue:

@tapeworm wrote:

 


@marvin_martian wrote:

 


@tapeworm wrote:

 


@miikerman wrote:

 

And it’s _ very _ nice having a 24GB player the size of a matchbox.

 

:slight_smile:


Yes it is! :wink:

 


 

Sure is… I could have two of them if I wanted to take the card out of my Fuze and put it in the other Clip+.

 

o0(hmm…I could do that, and use the Fuze around the house for podcasts, and just the Clip+'s for tunes on the go…)

 

And so it was done…


 

And so it shall be.

 

:stuck_out_tongue:

So saith the Gurus!:wink:

Thanks for the heads up. As a FLAC snob, this really helps.