Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

General FAQ’s that apply to a various portable mp3 devices:

1. What is MSC and MTP and how do I change it?
  2. Show Hidden Files and Folders / Music folder is hidden in MSC mode, what do I do?
  3. My player says “Please Free 6mb”, how can I fix it?
  4. I am having problems installing MTP drivers, what should I do!?
  5. How to create & modify M3U playlist to work under MSC mode using only WMP10
  6. Creating .m3uPlaylist on Linux
  7. How to rip CD contents directly to your player using WMP10
  8. Tutorial for Using Rhapsody
  9. Fixing Bad Files / Running Check Disk
  10. How to transfer DVD excerpt to Video Compatible player

Always adding more, feel free to make suggestions for FAQ’s in a new thread.

PM me if you see any mistakes.

Best Regards,

Mr.SmileyFace

Okay, so I’ve had my mp3 player since Christmas, and it’s been working great ever since. But last week I started having problems with it. It would turn off on its own (while it had a full battery). Then the screen started to mess up. Letters would be missing from the titles of the song, kind of like “Alie b ily Aln”, which is supposed to be “Alfie by Lily Allen”. The music wouldn’t play either. What’s going on?

@jkl wrote:

Okay, so I’ve had my mp3 player since Christmas, and it’s been working great ever since. But last week I started having problems with it. It would turn off on its own (while it had a full battery). Then the screen started to mess up. Letters would be missing from the titles of the song, kind of like “Alie b ily Aln”, which is supposed to be “Alfie by Lily Allen”. The music wouldn’t play either. What’s going on?

You should format your player and reload the songs. If you don’t have the songs on your computer, copy the songs from your player back to the computer, to salvage the ones that are still working, before you format.

How do I format it?

I just reuploaded all the songs, and it still won’t turn on.

@jkl wrote:
I just reuploaded all the songs, and it still won’t turn on.

The first thing to try is to do a hard reset of your player. Here are the instructions from the manual.

“To perform hardware reset on the Sansa Express™ device, press and hold the Select
button while pressing the Volume Up (+) buttons simultaneously.”

If the reset doesn’t work, then you should start a new thread so we don’t get off topic of this thread.

Write what you were doing, what happens when you press the Menu/Power button and what you have tried so far.

I did exactly what you said and it still won’t turn on. It turns on, then automatically turns off. 

Okay it turned on but it’s really messed up. It still turns off on its own. The letters are still missing from the titles of the song. What do I do now?

Also, whenever it does turn on, whenever it says Building database, it takes sixteen times before it is actually finished building the database.

@jkl wrote:
Also, whenever it does turn on, whenever it says Building database, it takes sixteen times before it is actually finished building the database.

If formating the player did not hlep, you might want to try updating the firmware. I suggest using the Sansa Firmware Updater. If that doesn’t work, then try it as written in this thread.

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=express&thread.id=1147

Hi. I don’t mean to seem negative or anything but, I’m fairly annoyed by the most obvious change between the 1GB mp3 player and the 2GB mp3 player, concerning the GoList. See, my previous version (the 1GB mp3 player) held 250+ songs in the GoList, however my new 2GB version can only hold 50 total in the GoList. Is there ANY way to modify the GoList settings so that it can hold MORE than jsut 50 songs in it? Because I have a lot of songs that I REALLY like and jsut having a few of them ruins the entire point of making them a playlist. Thanks.