Freezing on Refreshing Your Media

Now not only is it stuck on “refreshing your media”, but I can’t get it to do ANYTHING. I can’t reset it, can’t clear it. 

Does this sound like more than a refresh problem?

This does sound like an issue, but: how long are you holding the on button down, to reset the player? It can take 20-30 seconds or more–some people have reported even a minute. I’d just hold and hold, to see if something, then, will reset.

This is obviously too late a reply to help the original questioner, but someone else may wind up here looking for a solution.  If you check the specs for the clip, you will see a list of file types that it supports.  One file type that it does NOT support is mpeg, indicated by the file extension .m4a.  If there is an mpeg file in the mix of files you are trying to transfer onto the clip, the clip will choke, and get stuck building its database of files, indicating this with the “refreshing your media” message.  Then, it freezes, and then turns off.  Getting it started again requires holding the power button for about a minute.

To avoid this freeze, either remove files with the .m4a extension before transferring files from some source on your hard disk, or,as I have done on my Ubuntu machine, use a converter, which converts .m4a files to .ogg, which the clip handles just fine.

The converter i used left the old .m4a files, and stored the new .ogg files,so, you also have to search for all the .m4a’s and delete those before transferring files.

Hope this helps someone with this really frustrating problem.

I use “Folders” and don’t use annoing “Refreshing…” at all.

How to disable indexing completly?

@zerg wrote:

I use “Folders” and don’t use annoing “Refreshing…” at all.

How to disable indexing completly?

You can’t if you are using the player as is. If however, you install the 3rd party, open-source firmware Rockbox it does the database refresh in the background so you don’t have to wait for it every time you add or delete any files.

Rockbox is very feature-packed and has lots of options though, and can be a bit daunting and/or confusing for some.

@tapeworm wrote:
Rockbox it does the database refresh in the background

Is now Rockbox don’t require everytime manual actions to boot?

@zerg wrote:

Is now Rockbox don’t require everytime manual actions to boot?

Yes! Now Rockbox patching original firmware to boot. And now have ability to disable indexing at all. Gone to Rockbox…

Hi,

The  one I have is stuck on “refreshing your media”. I switched it off and on a couple of times, no use. My computer isnt recognizing it now either. Please help me.

Thanks.

apoorva27”, you need to give more information. First of all, never insert or remove a card when the player is on. 

Do you have a card in the player? If so, remove the card, and see if it will start up. Sandisk players have issues with cards faster than class 4. If you are using a card, is it class 4 or slower? What format are your files in? You might have tags incompatible with the player. For mp3 files, Sandisk players need ID3V2.3 ISO8859-1 format for the tags. The free program mp3Tag makes editing many tags at a time very easy.

Did you try holding down the center button on the player while you were connecting it to the pc?

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/