Free DVD Ripper

Is there a free DVD Ripper anyone knows of that will rip DVD songs to a WAV file?

@bbrev7 wrote:
Is there a free DVD Ripper anyone knows of that will rip DVD songs to a WAV file?

Did you try Windows Media PLayer? It seems to me that if WMP can read the DVD it can rip it? 

No, WMP doesn’t rip DVDs. At least, not without some plugin I’m unaware of.

bbrev7, I’ve never had a need for what you’re asking for, but have you tried googling “dvd to wav”?

Extra DVD Ripper Express will do this.  The free/trial version, however, will only do 15-20 minutes of a DVD.  The full version was just offered for free on giveawayoftheday.com–sorry you missed it!

If I remember correctly, Nero 8 does this as well–it sometimes can be found for sale with a full-price rebate (not covering tax--Outpost.com is a good place to watch for that). 

Found some of these in search but most cost $30 and up or only offered a short free trial. Now this isnt unaffordable, and for occasional use it may be best to just download atrial at hte time , do the job, then unistall when it quits.

But I was hoping for a limited features free application. 15-20 minutes would be enough for what I have is a combination VCR-DVD recorder, not a computer DVD drive, that records off TV in a DVD Movie format.Occasionally there is a music program or sound track i would like to record to DVD. But now it would be nice to have the DVD Movie, put it into my laptop drive, and rip songs off of it like is done with CD.

I am sure it is possible, but free or available n general I do not know. So I thought i would ask a group who might have discovered and used such a thing. I can get music from a DVD but not directly and it involves connecting vaios preamps to DVD player, headphones or TV to monitor, device to change to digital USB input to PC and wave recording program. Then split and name the wave tracks and convert and save to desired format. Not difficult, have the time, have done it, but CD ripping is S-O-O-O- much EASIER. And less noise, clipping, and loss.

If anyone finds something plaease post, but immediate solution is going to be to try some free trial if only to see if they work. If so may just decideto pay the small charge if really good.

And ripper must rip to audio not video files. I believe Express only rips to video. Others I have seen do rip to various audio as well as video formats but Im not sure I would do it enough to justify the cost, though small. Going to try some free trials though.

@bbrev7 wrote:
And ripper must rip to audio not video files. I believe Express only rips to video. Others I have seen do rip to various audio as well as video formats but Im not sure I would do it enough to justify the cost, though small. Going to try some free trials though.

Can you open the DVD in Explorer and then just copy and paste it? I did this a while back when I lost a hard drive in my pc and had to copy music over from my laptop.

Are you talking about extracting the Audio from a DVD music video or soundtrack from a movie? If so, DVD Shrink will do that. [wrong, see message below] I don’t think the program is being developed any more so there are some limitations on what it can do with copy-protected DVDs. It might work in combination with AnyDVD if the DVD is copy-protected. It is/was a free program, I’m sure you could still find it through Google.

Another possibility is the free program called “Super” if you can use some other means to copy video to your hard drive, Super can convert just the audio to mp3 or wav.

Message Edited by Alohamora on 03-14-2009 11:29 AM

Message Edited by Alohamora on 03-14-2009 11:59 AM

Express will rip to audio files.  I don’t see that option with DVD Shrink but maybe I’m just missing it.

@miikerman wrote:
Express will rip to audio files.  I don’t see that option with DVD Shrink but maybe I’m just missing it.

You are correct!

I was writing from memory without checking my information. The way to get audio from DVD would be to use DVD Shrink to rip the DVD to hard drive, then use Super to extract just the audio.

Found Free DVD mp3 Ripper from jodix.com. But though could open and play the file program quit responding when click rip and had to Ctrl+Alt+Del to close. This was a DVDR. When I tried commercial DVD whole thing froze and I had to power off after inserted disc. Stopped using this one.

Then trying DVD Audio Ripper v2.0 from filesforfree.com. Rips DVD to a mp3 or wav file. Successfully made a wav file after a few minutes without reading anything but the free trial only records about 4-5 minutes and keeps reminding you to register or buy. havent learned to fine tune the settings to get the exact portion but in wav i can split wherever I wish. Didnt try an mp3 yet. It is $29 to buy and doesnt seem bad at first try. Cant find way to play yet, but only visually scan the video frame by frame with slider to select portion.

If i had longer recording ability like maybe in paid version i would simply rip to wav, split, and convert to mp3, wma, or whatever with another converter program. Main objective is to extract a soundtrack or song off DVD movie VOB or similar movie files.

Plan to try a few more inexpensive free trials and maybe buy one that seems good enough for my needs.

Yeah, you might try to use DVD audio rippers to rip only audio from DVD as WAV file. As a matter of fact, on our websites tutorials, it seems to be possible to capture audio from DVD as an audio file by audio programs. You don’t need to pay money, but you can try its free version.  Hope this is helpful for you.

There are several ways to get audio from a DVD movie. One way, as previously mentioned, is to use an audio program which will record while the DVD is playing/streaming on the PC. The free program Audacity, for example, can do this, but it depends on the sound card’s capabilities. The other option is to find conversion software that can convert the DVD either straight to an audio format, or to a single video file for viewing on portable devices. DVDFab Ripper (paid version) for example can rip a DVD to either a single video file or audio file.

What I have done in the past to get audio from DVD movies onto Clip+ using free software was to use Fairuse Wizard LE to convert the movie for viewing on my Palm TX (in DVIX/AVI format). Once converted to a single “.avi” file, I can then use Super to convert the movie audio over to MP3 (generates much smaller files than WAV) and load them into my Clip+ or microSD card. This process uses several free programs but takes several hours (usually two to three hours) to get from a DVD movie to a single MP3 file. Super supports converting from “.vob” files to audio files but I’ve never done it that way since I tend to put the movie onto my Palm TX for viewing.

Sometimes I’ve had to convert the DVD to an “.iso” file first then use Fairuse Wizard LE to finish the conversion. The free program, DVDFab HD Decrypter, will strip out the copy protection from DVD movies and allow you to ‘backup’ the DVD to your hard drive or to a DVD±R disc. From there you could use DVD Shrink 3.2 to create an “.iso” file. Then you can use Fairuse Wizard LE to open the “.iso” file to continue the conversion process if needed.

The easiest way to do this is to use MPlayer. You can dump the audio by itself, rather than ripping the audio+video.

mplayer dvd://1 -vc null -vo null -ao pcm:waveheader:fast:file=dumpfile.wav

Change dvd://1 to dvd://2 or dvd://X where X is the Xth title.  Change “dumpfile” to any filename you want.

MPlayer doesn’t play with DirectX very well, so on a windows system you may find that dumping is realtime (taking 1 hour to dump 1 hour of audio), whereas on Linux the dump would be super fast (a minute or so for an hour of audio), but either way, it will work.