Formatted from 8 gig to 312 meg by mistake

Hi there,

My Sansa clip+ 8 gig told me the fat file was corrupted and I needed to format.  I did so with windows Vista and now the capacity has shrunk to only 312 MEG!!!  How do I get the full capacity back?

Thanks for any help,

Ojaybee

Format using the onboard format function.

Thanks for the advice.  Unfortunately I’ve already tried that (on board formatter), along with restoring factory settings, and trying various combinations of the Vista formatting tool.  Vista will only offer the option of a 312 Meg capacity whether I select FAT32 or anything else.  It doesn’t seem to matter.  Is it possible that the flash drive is damaged, or is it more likely to have been a formatting error?

Thanks for the advice.  Unfortunately I’ve already tried that (on board formatter), along with restoring factory settings, and trying various combinations of the Vista formatting tool.  Vista will only offer the option of a 312 Meg capacity whether I select FAT32 or anything else.  It doesn’t seem to matter.  Is it possible that the flash drive is damaged, or is it more likely to have been a formatting error?

Do you mean that you tried formatting the Clip+ using the Clip+'s own format command (that is, not your computer’s), and that won’t work either?  What happens?

You might want to try running Window’s chkdsk on the Clip+. 

Thanks for the replies so far. Unfortunately I’ve tried all of these suggestions. I’ll just run through exactly what I have tried again, any other suggestions other than what I’ve tried would be fantastic:

FAT file was corrupted. Plugged into a laptop running Vista via USB to format. Used windos Vista to quick format it. Capacity was reduced to 315Meg or thereabouts. Tried all combinations (FAT 32 etc) for another format via windows. None would allow me to change capcity back up to 8 Gig. I then ran a Check disk with windows again, and it found nothing wrong. I then tried the onboard formatter (from the player). Still no joy. It’s driving me nuts. Please help.

Ojaybee wrote:
FAT file was corrupted. Plugged into a laptop running Vista via USB to format. Used windos Vista to quick format it.

Don’t use the ‘Quick Format’ option.

Thanks Tapeworm.  Unfortunately it’s a bit late for that.  Do you have any idea how I can salvage my memory?

You should be able to format it again, not selecting the Quick Format option this time. Maybe you can try a different machine with XP on it if Vista is giving you problems?