For You Jazz Lovers Out There

The 100 Greatest Jazz Albums of All Time

See if you agree.

Interesting link!  I see that they qualified the list as the top 100 albums rather than simply the artists. 

Some good Jazz in that list, indeed.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

I’ve listened to Duke Ellington, Ella Fitzgerald and Benny Goodman.  Not quite my cup of tea.

But Louis Armstrong’s “What a Wonderful World” is one of my favorite songs.  Kenny G is the only jazz artist that I really enjoy.  His album “the moment” is terrific.

There are quite a few contemporary jazz artists, both instrumental and vocal that are making names for themselves and will be remembered in the years and generations to come. But very few will be mentioned in the same breath as the Duke, Benny, Ella and others.

Probably because what and who we consider today to be jazz ‘classics’ made their mark when jazz was the ‘rock’ music of the day. Today it’s popularity isn’t nearly as widespread. There’s just too many more genres (and sub-genres). Plus the fact that every generation seems to adopt it’s own genre (or variaton) if for no other reason than to rebel against the ‘establishment’ and their parents and express their individuality. This has been going on for decades and is in part the driving force behind music evolution.

This is probably as good a list like this can be; but these lists still drive me crazy. Diana Krall placed before Ahmad Jamal?  And if Krall is going to be on the list at all, where are some other comtempories that could out sing her with one vocal chord tied behind their back?  Such as Jane Monheit or Holly Cole?

When we want to get some great discussions going among my group of friends, we pull out one of these lists (usually after too many glasses of wine) and the debates start flowing!

FREE ON AMAZON! 

JAZZ GREATEST YEAR 1959 

Its only three songs but they are from some greats of the Genre