For our friends at SanDisk: any news on a next Clip firmware revision?

For our SanDisk friends:  it’s been a bit over 3 months since the last Clip firmware revision.  Any news on a firmware revision for the Clip, and the timing/possible additions?  Especially relevant given the additions to the Fuze firmware in the interim.  Thanks–

:wink:

I guess our friends at SanDisk are on vacation this week …   :wink:

They have been pretty scarce around these parts lately. Hope they didn’t fall victim to the economy and add to the un-employment figures.

Yea, where the heck is the new update?  I’m getting really tired of having to transcode everything because of the pitch problem.

Message Edited by Warrior1986 on 05-30-2009 09:06 AM

I’d be happy for an update/news from the SanDisk folks …

@warrior1986 wrote:
Yea, where the heck is the new update?  I’m getting really tired of having to transcode everything because of the pitch problem.
Message Edited by Warrior1986 on 05-30-2009 09:06 AM

I had forgotten about that. I know it was fixed in the Fuze, last time around, but since I never noticed it by ear I forgot about the Clip having the same issue.

And so, SanDisk folks, any news for us?   :slight_smile:

Did anyone try calling Support?

I did.  support is like a different department.  they don’t have any information on the developement of firmwares and their release dates…

Message Edited by marqck on 06-18-2009 05:47 AM

I just KNOW that one of our SanDiskers is going to acknowledge this thread and provide an update–it’s been 4 months (minus 2 days) since the last Clip update, and there’s been a major Fuze update in the meanwhile …

Anyone from SanDisk home?   :wink:

Message Edited by Miikerman on 06-17-2009 08:17 PM

I just KNOW that one of our SanDiskers is going to acknowledge this thread and provide an update–it’s been 4 months (minus 2 days) since the last Clip update, and there’s been a major Fuze update in the meanwhile, awhile ago …

Anyone from SanDisk home?   :wink:

I’m holding my breath!  I’ll bet that the next release is coming soon!

The Fuze was the platform for the latest release.  Many of the features would be quite handy on the Fuze’s little brother.  How soon?  What was the official line?  Ah, “Sir, I have no recollection of that matter.  Next question?”

I’m ready for the Press Pool.  But don’t quote me on that, as it’s off the record.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

that pic looks more like he’s holding a whole lot of puke than breath :slight_smile:

Im still waiting for the day they release an SDK… 

Ay news from our SanDisk friends?  microSansa/SlotMonsta/etc.?

After a 3 month of waitin I have forgotten bout sansa devs and waitin for a Rockbox built for Clip

It’s no reason to update official firmware cause there will be not any signifacant changes

Insdead of Rockbox. Now it near the finan release for Clip (i hope) 

The only thing tha Sandisk can do - it’s just send Rockbox team few Clips 

I’m not sure SanDisk cares much about Rockbox (someone correct me if they know differently).  I guess they’d sell a (relatively small, compared to retailer sales) number of additional Clips.  And Rockbox wouldn’t really add much to the Clip, would it?  It’s already a great sounding device that plays a good variety of audio formats.

Message Edited by PromisedPlanet on 06-23-2009 07:15 AM

@promisedplanet wrote:
I’m not sure SanDisk cares much about Rockbox (someone correct me if they know differently).  I guess they’d sell a (relatively small, compared to retailer sales) number of additional Clips.  And Rockbox wouldn’t really add much to the Clip, would it?  It’s already a great sounding device that plays a good variety of audio formats.
Message Edited by PromisedPlanet on 06-23-2009 07:15 AM

Rockbox seems to cover most of the things people ask for in firmware feature requests on these (clip & fuze) forums (folder browsing, more formats, gapless, playing on-pitch, station names on FM presets, no waiting on database refresh, etc etc)

At one time Sansa was courting Rockbox to the point of supplying players to the development team, including at least one with a hardware debugging port.  Perhaps that ended when Sansa started (or were already) using chips whose manufacturers weren’t cool with public disclosure of specifications and application notes. 

Message Edited by donp on 06-23-2009 09:25 AM

donp, I wasn’t aware about the previous comms between Sandisk and the Rockbox team … thanks for your reply.

@feromon wrote:

After a 3 month of waitin I have forgotten bout sansa devs and waitin for a Rockbox built for Clip

It’s no reason to update official firmware cause there will be not any signifacant changes

Insdead of Rockbox. Now it near the finan release for Clip (i hope) 

The only thing tha Sandisk can do - it’s just send Rockbox team few Clips 

I’d like to see Rockbox on the Clip as well.  But I think that many people would also like to see the Clip’s Sansa firmware continue to improve, such as those who use the Clip for DRM’ed files, such as Audible books.  Plus, I think that many users (the typical puchaser of the Clip?) are just fine with the Clip’s native firmware, especially if it continues to improve over time.

And so, SanDisk, what’s up with a new firmware version?  It’s been over 4 months now …