Folders visible on locked drive

I have a SanDisk Extreme Portable 2Tb SSD that is password protected with Sandisk software. When used on Windows 10, the drive is visible in This PC and the drive can be opened and folders on the drive can be viewed without unlocking the drive. Files cannot be seen or accessed until unlocked. Anyone else have this problem?

Hi @SandyDisk12,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the SD Technical Support team for best assistance and troubleshooting:

Yes. I have an ongoing support case with people who cannot understand the issue.

I just booted up the machine. The (J) drive was attached already. I just went into “This PC” and I can see the (J) drive without running the unlocker (F). I can double click and open the (J) drive and see a list of folders. I can double click on any of the folders and open them and see the sub-folders.

It is still happening.

Still happening. Has to be a flaw in SanDidk’s firmware. SanDisk support can’t even understand the problem, let alone think about raising the issue with engineering.

If the device is plugged in when the machine boots, the drive and directories are visible without entering the unlock password.

If the device is plugged in after the machine boots up, then the drive and directories are not visible until the device is unlocked.

Instead of relying solely on the password protection software, you can utilize file or folder level encryption. Windows provides features like Encryption File System which allows you to encrypt specific files or folders, adding an extra level of security to your sensitive data.

I’m aware of that. No thanks.

Still, this doesn’t address the apparent firmware flaw in the SanDisk product.

No responses from SanDisk.

Ten days later. No help.

Ten more days. Two months. SanDisk provides no usable help.

A month later, nothing

Looks like yet another SanDisk defective product. No help from support.