Folders renamed on SD card after disconnect

Hi -

I did a search and didnt see anyone else with this issue.

I have a new SD card and I am starting to load songs on.

I usually create a folder under music, put X songs into the folder, select all and create a playlist.  (filled up my 8GB internal mem this way)

On the SD card, I set everything up in the same manner, create folder and then create playlist, however when I disconnect the folder and play lists are renamed to:

folder: CB020000_New Folder (2)

pla: New Playlist.pla

And the pla hoes as New Playlist.pla under the device when disconnected.

I have no idea what is causing this… anyone have any ideas?

By any chance, are you connected under USB MTP mode (or Autodetect)?  MTP mode can cause renaming issues.  USB MSC mode doesn’t have this issue–you might want to switch to that, if not there already.  (Note, however:  MTP mode is needed for DRM’ed files.)

@amryan wrote:

I usually create a folder under music, put X songs into the folder, select all and create a playlist.  (filled up my 8GB internal mem this way)

On the SD card, I set everything up in the same manner, create folder and then create playlist , however when I disconnect the folder and play lists are renamed to:

This step is unneccessary. If you’re creating a playist of all the songs in either the internal memory or the external memory card, 1.) there is a playlist track limit which you may be exceeding 2.) you don’t need it. You can simply go to Folder mode in the Music menu and play all songs from either memory location that way.

@amryan wrote:

On the SD card, I set everything up in the same manner, create folder and then create playlist ,

This step seems unneccessary. If you’re creating a playist of all the songs in either the internal memory or the external memory card, 1.) there is a playlist track limit which you may be exceeding, and 2.) you don’t need it. You can simply go to Folder mode in the Music menu and play all songs from either memory location that way.

I am using MTP.  Very odd that it didnt cause this issue for internal mem.

MSC – what do you recommend?  WM in win7 doesn’t let me edit anything? 

playlist track limit? – was not aware of this.  What is this limit?

I use this method because I have many folders, not interested in scrolling through a listing of 100 folders.

@amryan wrote:

I am using MTP.  Very odd that it didnt cause this issue for internal mem.

MSC – what do you recommend?  WM in win7 doesn’t let me edit anything? 

I use MSC mode–it just works (and I’m not using DRM’ed files, generally). 

Well – short term fix… switched to MSC mode – add folder and files to the drive and then use playlist creator 3.6 to add songs to and create playlist right on the device… no mysterious renaming after I unhook the device.