Folders (Let me just say it again.)

You can use folders on the Clip for file storage.  However, the Clip does not have a file view feature to view your files and select them–that’s what many would like.

You can use folders on the Clip for file storage.  However, the Clip does not have a file view feature to view your files and select them for playing–that’s what many would like.  

Well, “audible” and “voice recordings” don’t work–but the folders “audiobooks” and “podcasts” do let you let you drag mp3 files into them and then see them on the clip.  If you try to rename the folders, though, the clip won’t recognize them.

This may be really obvious and clunky and not that big a deal to folks who are trying to work with albums (and useless to folks who are actually using these folders), but the ability to have two real extra folders (for different kinds of tracks) that do show up on the clip makes a world of difference to me–as long as doing this doesn’t cause it to crash.  Seems to be fine so far though.

Those 2 folders are the 2 exceptions–no tags needed for the files placed there, and the Clip separately files/lists them as audiobooks or podcasts.  An advance in the last firmware revision.

“If RCA can do folders, surely Sandisk can figure out how.”

The workaround is to use a program like mp3Tag to give a folder full of podcasts on your pc the same album name,

and to autonumber the tracks, so they stay together as a unit. Then if you give them the genre Audio or Podcast then they will appear in the audiobook or podcast section of the player, and they will play in sequence of track number for audiobooks, or reverse sequence for podcasts(so I have my podcasts listed as audiobooks so they play in the correct order). This is an annoying workaround, but at least it works. I should be in charge of my player though, and not have my player in charge of me. :slight_smile:

I’m getting by w/o them but yeah, I’ve been a folder man for a long time and my car audio all uses folders.  Here’s a tip for the Sansa team for what I believe to be the best design in the industry if it were implemented. 

Folders would be an option right next to albums, artists, etc.

In any of these categories, instead of choosing one, the list should have check marks for on or off with a clear all/select all option.  So you can run down your list and “include” albums or folders or artists in the current playlist.  Then you need a feature to clear the current playlist. 

This would greatly please any old school WinAmp junkies like myself.  As it is I just randomize the 4G of tunes and skip things I’m not in the mood for.  But if I could select all, then deselect a few albums, I’d be in heaven.  Or maybe dump in a couple genre’s, then remove one artist.  Simple to code up, but I’m sure very hard to fit on this little product since that running list could get pretty huge.  But that’s the dream anyway and I’d gladly give up some space for the running playlist on the filesystem.

Hi!  I just got my sansa clip 4 gig about a week ago and discovered this forum yesterday.  I love my Clip and have gotten a lot information from you all already…Thank you all.   Just want to chime in on the folders issue.  I was a bit disappointed when I realized I couldn’t organize music in folders. And finding a particular song/disc especially considering the compilation issue is a chore.  It is a very good product and I am not sorry I bought it but folders would be *wonderful*.

_Fold_er, I don’t even know her! :smileyvery-happy:

But seriously, the Sansa tech people seem to be open to feedback and reply to helpful issues on this forum quite often. But they are totally quiet about the folder issue.  What’s up with that?  

I’m sure others will correct me to the extent I’m mistaken, but my impression is that SanDisk as a company just is not folders-favorable for its audio players.  I had an earlier SanDisk player and it likewise didn’t have folders, when that would have seemed natural for a simpler player.  This seems to be a company philosophy.  And remember that a folders decision for the Clip likewise would impact the company’s other audio players.

I think that folders often are seen as “old.”  But sometimes the “old” way is simple, elegant and logical.

Indeed, I would totally understand that company philosophy if they shunned the MSC mode altogether.  Or made MP3s non-playable on the Clip while in MSC or something. Just seems a bit in a file purgatory, kinda half of one thing and half not. Mind you, Miikerman, I’m not arguing at all, just pondering why it is the way it is and no forthcoming explanation from SanDisk.

I mean, you can get an 8 gig flash drive for $15 - $20, so having MSC mode just to tote files around on a 2 to 4 gig unit is redundant these days. 

@shonokin wrote:

I mean, you can get an 8 gig flash drive for $15 - $20, so having MSC mode just to tote files around on a 2 to 4 gig unit is redundant these days. 

But my $15 flash drive doesn’t play music, and my Linux PC doesn’t like MTP mode.  MSC is necessary.  A lot more necessary than folders (and I’m a proponent of folder view).

@cydewaze wrote:

@shonokin wrote:

But my $15 flash drive doesn’t play music, and my Linux PC doesn’t like MTP mode.  MSC is necessary.  A lot more necessary than folders (and I’m a proponent of folder view).

That’s a good point!

Well… um…

_ FOLDERS PLEASE!!!  _ :smiley:

It’s not “odd”, it the NORMAL way of the computer world. We’ve been using FOLDERS for over 30 YEARS! What’s wrong with doing things the RIGHT way?

Folders Folders Folders Folders Folders Folders Folders Folders Folders Folders Folders Folders

FoLdErs FoLdErs FoLdErs FoLdErs FoLdErs FoLdErs FoLdErs FoLdErs FoLdErs FoLdErs FoLdErs

foldERS foldERS foldERS foldERS foldERS foldERS foldERS foldERS foldERS foldERS foldERS foldER

At least give me the choice! I mean, it is MY toy! Let my do it MY way! Fix the **bleep** PROGRAM!

I think Micro$oft is paying SanDisk to FORCE us to use winmediaplay to do tags… What else makes sense?

Folders is how we ALL keep music on our computers right (except for you-know-who). He keeps all his tunes in one folder (just like on his Sansa).

This is STUPID! (can you tell that I just found out that FOLDERS won’t work on a sansa?) Man, am I pissed that I spent so much money on this P.O.S.

What device am I really looking for… RCA? What model? Who else supports folders? Who else should I avoid because they WON’T support folders?

Any and all help is apreciated. You want to buy a used SansaJunk for the cost of shipping? Thanks in advance…

Just wait until you have about 2-gig of tunes loaded. THEN you’ll be sorry you bought it. Oh yes you will! You’ll be lost in a sea of muck. Love

Okay then, everybody get out your mats, here’s some milk too.  Time for afternoon nap.

(It’s getting a wee bit cranky in here, yes?)

Now get those earbuds back on!

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

@russwill wrote:

Folders Folders Folders Folders Folders Folders Folders Folders Folders Folders Folders Folders

FoLdErs FoLdErs FoLdErs FoLdErs FoLdErs FoLdErs FoLdErs FoLdErs FoLdErs FoLdErs FoLdErs

foldERS foldERS foldERS foldERS foldERS foldERS foldERS foldERS foldERS foldERS foldERS foldER

At least give me the choice! I mean, it is MY toy! Let my do it MY way! Fix the **bleep** PROGRAM!

Agreed and understood, but unlikely.  SanDisk just seems anti-folder tech-wise.  It’s odd to me, as it’s a “universal” mode.

I would love to hear the company’s rationale as to this–the company just seems to be limiting itself, without reason.

Ipods don’t navigate by folders, have a built in battery, and have a proprietary connector. It is unfortunate that Sandisk has chosen to follow this path as well for most of its players. The use of a AAA battery in the Slotmusic player is nice, however the lack of a display and sound quality lower than the Clip makes me not interested in buying one. A premium model of Slotmusic player with a display, sound quality equal to the Clip(and perhaps FM radio as well?), that runs on a AAA battery would be cool, especially if it would be priced at $30 or less. 

I would  like to see a player by Sandisk that navigates by folders or tags, runs on one AA battery, has a standard mini USB connector, has sound quality equal to the Clip, FM radio, a full sized SDHC card slot, and a display.

Message Edited by JK98 on 10-24-2008 05:03 PM