FM radio works but downloaded song won't play

We bought 5 clips for Christmas. The kids and wife have been successful at loading CDs onto theirs through Windows Media Player 11. I’ve finally got around to loading my music up and none of the downloaded albums play. The FM player has always worked fine. When I try to play the downloaded songs, the timer starts clocking and it goes to the next song as you would expect, but no music comes through the earphones. I’ve downloaded the latest firmware. The USB is on auto detect. I’ve also tried to put it in MTP mode and drag and drop like the Sansa video shows, but when I double click on the clip icon in My computer, it is only showing an icon for Internal Memory (1.89 GB) but I don’t have the folders for My Media or My Music like shown in the Sansa video. I’m stuck on what to do. Help!!!

@dastco wrote:
  <–Snip–>

I’ve also tried to put it in MTP mode and drag and drop like the Sansa video shows, but when I double click on the clip icon in My computer, it is only showing an icon for Internal Memory (1.89 GB) but I don’t have the folders for My Media or My Music like shown in the Sansa video. I’m stuck on what to do. Help!!!

This is the difference. In MTP open the internal memory and there your folders should be. If not try switching to MSC and doing the same thing. When you ripped youe music did you use the same settings as your kids on the same PC?

Yes I used the same settings as they did. I’ve also had them try to load music on there thinking I wasn’t doing it right, but no luck.

By the way, when I tried to use the voice record function, the recording I made doesn’t play back with sound either. I found that while something is in play back mode, you can hit the center button and it pulls up an “equalizer” screen showing the various bars bouncing up and down with the play back. So, I’m guessing that somehow the voice recordings and the downloaded CDs are actually there, but something is preventing the audio from those formats from playing. I just don’t understand why the FM radio works fine, but the other formats don’t.

Something of an all around if you got any problem try this solution is to take the power button and then slide it up and hold it there for 15-20 seconds. It will do a soft reset, then turn it back on (If it turns on do a power cycle shut down and then back on). See if this helps. If not then try reinstalling the firmware. And if that is no help Format your player using its internal settings (Settings> Format> Yes)and try to re-add the music.

No that did not seem to help. I tried it a couple of times with no luck. When I tried to reinstall the firmware, it didn’t even give me the option of downloading it. The only thing it would let me download was the Owners Manual. The Updater recognized that it was already loaded with version 1.01.30.

I tried Formatting a couple of times as well and the Reset All function.

I’m starting to think that it must be something with the hard drive itself. While it seems to be recording and playing back, whatever path that it is trying to send the audio signal thru must be corrupted or otherwize damaged. I’m also assuming that the FM radio feature does not use the hard drive and therefore is not affected by whatever the problem may be. I’m scouring the Owner’s Manual now trying to figure this out!

I appreciate all the help you’ve given, but I’m thinking the problem is hardware and not software. Any other ideas?

Do a manual install of the firmware. If that dosnt help call sandisks customer Service number. Call dont e-mail. They know lots of little tricks.

Will do. Thanks.

I’ll let you know what happens.