FLAK Programs

I usually use wave editors to record to WAV then convert or rip to mp3 or wma or make CD from WAV file. I was unfamiliar with FLAC before reading about it here. WAV is very large. It seems FLAC would be better for archiving but I am not sure if i have programs that can use it.

What programs are you people who use FLAC using to rip and to convert and so forth?

If I have nothing now I would like to find a free program because my volume and frequency of ripping now does not justify a large or even small outlay.

@bbrev7 wrote:

I usually use wave editors to record to WAV then convert or rip to mp3 or wma or make CD from WAV file. I was unfamiliar with FLAC before reading about it here. WAV is very large. It seems FLAC would be better for archiving but I am not sure if i have programs that can use it.

What programs are you people who use FLAC using to rip and to convert and so forth?

If I have nothing now I would like to find a free program because my volume and frequency of ripping now does not justify a large or even small outlay.

MediaMonkey is free and will rip into FLAC.

personally i use EAC ( ExactAudioCopy ) for ripping and Foobar2000 for playback

EAC and dbPoweramp are the only accurate rippers available for Windows.  EAC is free but has a somewhat steep learning curve.  dbPoweramp is easier to use, but isn’t free.  I use EAC plus the REACT add-on for the ultimate in automation and customization of the ripping process.  However, it takes big investment in time and learning to get started.

If you’re not ready to tackle the learning curve and just want something simple, Winamp and MediaMonkey both support FLAC and are very simple to use.

I use dbpoweramp.  For conversion it is very convenient as you can do it right from an explorer window (select files, right-click-convert).  Foobar is free.  In terms of accuracy, it has error security settings of none, normal, and paranoid but don’t know how that corresponds to dbpoweramp or EAC’s settings.

Foobar is mosty what I use for playing music on the computer if I’m in Windows.

Message Edited by donp on 03-10-2009 02:58 PM

CDEX 1.70 (beta 2 version) also encodes Flac. CDEX is well regarded for Lame mp3 encoding and I’ve found the 1.70 beta to be stable and usable.