FLAC vs. 320Kbit MP3

Hi,

I want to know other Sansa Clip users’ opinion about this. Do you notice any significant difference between FLAC and 320kbit MP3?

I quickly tested a couple of different songs both encoded as FLAC and 320Kbit MP3 and could not notice a difference. They both sound excellent but I’m not sure if I could pick which is which if didn’t know them. 

I’m using Sennheiser CX300 and CX500 earphones by the way. (not the fake ones, I bought them from an authorized Sennheiser dealer).

Obviously, my testing was very brief. What’s your experience? I know maybe for archiving purposes, a lossless format like FLAC could be better but in terms of listening, do you notice a difference between them when listening to your Clip?

Thank you. 

Message Edited by esrefb on 03-09-2009 08:56 AM

@esrefb wrote:

Hi,

I want to know other Sansa Clip users’ opinion about this. Do you notice any significant difference between FLAC and 320kbit MP3?

I quickly tested a couple of different songs both encoded as FLAC and 320Kbit MP3 and could not notice a difference. They both sound excellent but I’m not sure if I could pick which is which if didn’t know them. 

I’m using Sennheiser CX300 and CX500 earphones by the way. (not the fake ones, I bought them from an authorized Sennheiser dealer).

Obviously, my testing was very brief. What’s your experience? I know maybe for archiving purposes, a lossless format like FLAC maybe better but in terms of listening, do you notice a difference between them when listening to your Clip?

Thank you. 

I don’t hear any difference, and using the MP3 will save space and battery power vs. FLAC.

I have a philips shp5400 headphone and I can defnilty hear the diffrence. Also, know that even if you don’t hear any diffrence it can be still make a diffrence on your unconscious mind.

@fighterblast wrote:
  Also, know that even if you don’t hear any diffrence it can be still make a diffrence on your unconscious mind.

Meaning, what? :wink:

i do hear a difference with my koss sporta pro. althought many people would say that the difference isn’t significant but i still like it. 

and the unconscious mind thing. i believe he’s describing the higher frequencies which mp3 lacks. anything above 18-19khz isn’t really “audible” ( it actually is, but the feeling it gives you might be described as such ), it just… “feels”. like old crt TVs used to have such sound. somewhere around 16-17khz low level signal. when you walked in the room you knew that the TV is on without looking at it

Message Edited by fuflo on 03-09-2009 08:47 PM

You would have to have to have pretty good equipment and a very discerning ear to hear the difference.  My recommendation is always to archive your CDs to FLAC and then transcode to MP3/Vorbis for portable use.