FLAC File Compression

What FLAC file compression is the preferred one to use fo clip if there is choice of 1 - 8 with 5 labeled Recommended and 8 labeled Best Compression?

And does this play on the new firmeware 02.01.32 ?

But on second thought maybe I shouldnt use it anyway, for though I have seen it mentioned I dont th ink I have anything that will play it and it doesnt seem like a very useful format. But I am unfamiliar with it or its uses to start with. Comments ?

The benefit of FLAC is that it is a lossless compression, so you don’t lose anything from the original recording.  In that respect, it is useful for archiving tracks from your original CD.  You can now also play them on your Clip if you wan’t.  The file sizes are still larger than the supported lossy formats so there is a trade off there.  As for me, I rip my CDs down to Ogg Vorbis for use on the Clip.  I’m not an audiofile so the lossy formats are good enough for me.

I always use 8.  The only downside is slightly longer times to encode, but with any kind of reasonable CPU you should still keep up with the CD ripping.

For most people FLAC is the “pure” archive.  You might want 64kb ogg/vorbis for your 1 gig flash player.  Later you might get an Ipod and need the song in AAC format, or get a 16gb player and want a higher bit rate.  Either way you want to start from a lossless source.  

You could rerip from CD, yes!  That’s why I don’t keep FLAC for most of my CD rips.  And why I do for rips from LP, because reripping from LP is more of a big deal.  Next time I buy a disk drive, that may change now that a FLAC encoded album is only about a nickle’s worth of disk space.

@donp wrote:

For most people FLAC is the “pure” archive.  You might want 64kb ogg/vorbis for your 1 gig flash player.  Later you might get an Ipod and need the song in AAC format, or get a 16gb player and want a higher bit rate.  Either way you want to start from a lossless source.  

You could rerip from CD, yes!  That’s why I don’t keep FLAC for most of my CD rips.  And why I do for rips from LP, because reripping from LP is more of a big deal.  Next time I buy a disk drive, that may change now that a FLAC encoded album is only about a nickle’s worth of disk space.

You can’t rerip that CD if it’s lost or damaged! :wink:   Also, once your collection gets pretty big reripping is not really an option.  I’ve ripped about 3000 CDs and I knew before I started that I only ever wanted to do it once.  So I ripped everything to FLAC, from which I can recreate the original CD or transcode to MP3/Vorbis for portable use (which I do).  FLAC is not just about sound quality, it’s also about protecting your investment and maximizing your options.  Ripping straight to a lossy format does neither.

You can fit close to 1500 CDs on a $60 500GB drive, so like you said, cost of storage is not really an issue.