Firmware updated 09/30/08

Just noticed that the firmware updated today. As predicted it was just a removal of the purchasing and sharing functions. Nothing else changed as far as I can tell.

Message Edited by BCZF on 09-30-2008 06:20 PM

But now I can’t listen to my Launchcast Radio station on the Connect. When I select “My Station,” it simply says I can create a customized station on the PC. Does that mean I can’t listen to it on my Connect? The canned stations appear to be available.

Can you listen to your station at http://music.yahoo.com/launchcast ?

Yes–it works fine on the PC. The “canned” radio stations work on the Connect, but not the customized one. The option is there in the menu (“My Station”), but when you select it you get a generic message saying you can create a station on the PC.

I seem to remember one of the FAQs about Yahoo! Music Unlimited ending saying something about not being able to listen to your station on the Connect if you migrate to Rhapsody. So, I reset my Connect and logged in with my “@yahoo.com” ID, which had been merged years ago with my DSL ID ("@swbell.net"). The DSL ID is the one I used when migrating to Rhapsody. Neither ID works on the Connect to play the customized station, but both allow me to play the canned stations.

Here is the FAQ I mentioned in my first reply to your post. Not sure how it affects the Connect, or if it is the cause of my problem?

Does this affect LAUNCHcast at all?

Yahoo! Music Unlimited subscribers who transfer to Rhapsody will have access to Rhapsody’s member-only channels. You will no longer have access to LAUNCHcast Plus after you transfer. Even if you do not subscribe to LAUNCHcast Plus, you will still have access to free LAUNCHcast radio and your customized “My Station”. However, LAUNCHcast radio will no longer be available from within the Yahoo! Music Jukebox after September 30, 2008. To listen to LAUNCHcast after September 30, visit the LAUNCHcast page on Yahoo! Music. 

I am having the same problem.  I never had a “plus” account and after the update I am also unable to connect to my station.  I have no problems connecting to my station using my Internet browser.  I hope this isn’t the intended behavior.

Can’t play station - Try again later

This is the message I get on every station, is there a fix?

I also have the same problem with “My Station”, use the PC message…

Message Edited by josht76 on 10-06-2008 07:45 PM

Wow, why would they want to hamper this player any more than they have? 

Any way that those of us who haven’t connected since 9/29 can block the software update?  I plan on using this player solely to listen to Launchcast Plus (because of the non-replaceable battery, I want to limit its use to this one feature that you can’t get in any other player).

I too cannot get my Launchcast Plus station on my Connect since Oct 1st. The player says I can set it up in Launchcast but it’s already set up. I’ve confirmed that the station still works from PCs. The Connect plays the generic Launchcast stations only. The Connect does still access my Flickr account so I know I’m signed in to my Verizon Yahoo account correctly.

I see others have this problem. I have a trouble request in to Sandiak Tech Support but all I got so far is instruction to reload the firmware. I have done that twice without any change in performance.

I would like to hear that someone’s Launchcast MyStation still works on the Connect. If none of them work why wouldn’t Sandisk Tech Support know it and tell us here’s a fix in the works?

I finally got my Sansa Connect back from my wife, and it is now running the latest firmware.  The MyStation screen says that it can be set up using Yahoo Music Jukebox on the PC, not via Launchcast.

Big BOO! to Sandisk.

I can understand the Yahoo problem.  I can understand not fixing the poor versions of m200 firmware.

But taking away the one exceptional remaining function of the Connect, the Launchcast Plus radio?

I’d like to know if this was done deliberately, and if so, why.  If not, why not an upcoming firmware fix?  Because their loyal customers have endured enough reduction in functionality of the Connect. 

Or at least stop upgrading firmware, and allow manual retrograde to the previous version of firmware.  It works perfectly.  

I called Sandisk technical support to confirm/deny whether Launchcast Plus station streaming has been disabled in the latest version of the firmware.  They claim that it has not, and said that I should run the Sansa Connect Recovery Tool to “fix” the firmware (huh?).

It’s been a while since I’ve run the SCRT … anyone know how long it’s supposed to run?  Mine’s been running for about 15 minutes now.  Doesn’t seem right.  :frowning:

@jj2me wrote:

Any way that those of us who haven’t connected since 9/29 can block the software update?  I plan on using this player solely to listen to Launchcast Plus (because of the non-replaceable battery, I want to limit its use to this one feature that you can’t get in any other player).

The Launchcast Plus streams still can be received by the Connect; you “just” can’t receive the customized “My Station” channel any more.

@promisedplanet wrote:

@jj2me wrote:

Any way that those of us who haven’t connected since 9/29 can block the software update? I plan on using this player solely to listen to Launchcast Plus (because of the non-replaceable battery, I want to limit its use to this one feature that you can’t get in any other player).

The Launchcast Plus streams still can be received by the Connect; you “just” can’t receive the customized “My Station” channel any more.

PromisedPlanet,

Thanks much. I didn’t read carefully enough, and was afraid to connect my Sansa Connect via Wireless to test Launchcast Plus for fear of losing my old firmware. Having Launchcast Plus is enough for me.

Even besides Launchcast Plus radio, this is a great player if you listen to lots of spoken word (podcasts, audiobooks, videos):

• proper resume seems to work for more than one file (within 72 hours of entering Sleep), including ones on the card.

• MTP for OverDrive Media audiobooks

• speaker - nice for videos and spoken word

• decent enough size screen size (2.2" ) for videos.

But with a battery life of less than two years, we have to carefully use only the features we most want. Oh please, someone turn up some battery replacement, even if we have to solder to get it to work.

Message Edited by jj2me on 10-14-2008 10:23 PM

There is no more Yahoo Music Store so it can’t be set up there. Anyway, the station is already set up and working from PCs.

Is it true that the ability to play the Launchcast customized “My Station” has been eliminated? That would be very disappointing.

@phillyjoep wrote:
Anyway, the station is already set up and working from PCs.

Can you explain what you mean by this?  What is “the station”?

@phillyjoep wrote:
Is it true that the ability to play the Launchcast customized “My Station” has been eliminated? That would be very disappointing.

That appears to be the case.

Unfortunately, this is the intended behavior of hte firmware update. We will no longer be able ot listen to our customized radio station on our sansa connects.

@startgame412 wrote:
Unfortunately, this is the intended behavior of hte firmware update. We will no longer be able ot listen to our customized radio station on our sansa connects.

I’m guessing you’re right, but … did you get this confirmed by Sandisk, or did you read something that explicitly states this?