Firmware Update Failed, Now SE is being reconigzed as STMP3600 (SigmaTEL)

I was performing an update and it went smoothly till a box popped up saying something like:

“The semptamore blah blah blah timed out”

Then the updater went back saying the firmware was installed but the firmware says it’s a

Now what do I do?

Reset doesn’t work. Screen is blank. Pluggin it in seems to still charge it as the player get warm. Vista reconigzes the device as STMP3600 which is a chipset that the SE runs on. Then it seraches for other drivers and reconignizes the player as a recovery.

Since it’s reconzied as a recovery device, should I be able to recover the SE?

Does this get covered by warranty?

T.T

Sounds like somthing is REALLY wrong with your device

Why dont you contact support or possibly return it to the store ?

Returned/RMA

There’s no firmware.

But after doing some research, it seems that the player was not fully bricked. Since it’s still recognized as a chipset (STMP3600) all it needs is a specific software program from SigmaTel to upload a firmware onto the device.

Even more intresting it that STMP3600 can go wifi and video with bluetooth.
I wonder is Sansa Connect runs on this same chipset

You can look on www.anythingbutipod.com to see what is inside of the Connect and Express.

Mine is doing the same exact thing! I was hoping the firmware update would fix a screensaver issue I had, now it’s completely dead. I guess they will get a call from me on Monday  - can’t take it back - receipt  & package gone! Geez, what a piece of junk!

Hi!

I have a similar problem. I was doing a firmware update, and suddenly i got an error message containing a hex code wich i cant remember.
Then it said “Successful”…

When i turn it on it just keep doing the “Building Database” and the battery indicator is slightly off screen to the left, then it turns off. I have tried the reset thing, but didnt work. I have actually been in contact with Sandisk Support and they will replace my device, but that seems unnessecary since this has to be just a firmware issue.

I cant do a new firmware update because when i plug it in it just says that its in MTP mode and should be in the other mode, MSC.

Did anyone find a firmware updater from sigmatel or any other sollution that could work for me?

Sincerly,
comacino

UPDATED!!!

I solved my problem!

By forcing it into MSC
 like this(Thanks to winwithben, on anythingbutipod.com/forum):

• Plug in your device.
  • Open Device Manager. Find your Sansa Express under Portable Devices. Right click. Update driver.
  • Select: No, not this time, Next.
  • Select: Install from a list or specific location (Advanced), Next.
  • Select: Don’t Search. I will choose the driver to install, Next.
  • Be sure to check the box beside Show compatible hardware.
  • Highlight USB Mass Storage Device, Next.
    Then after a reboot, i can find my device in explorer once again, but it cant read from it, but offers to format it, and after a format my player started to work again!
    I hope someone will find this useful!

Cheers :wink:

(Im so happy)

Message Edited by comacino on 08-19-2007 07:27 PM

Message Edited by comacino on 08-19-2007 07:59 PM

No, that’s not how my problem was.

Mine actually recognized the player as STMP3600. Not an MTP nor MSC compatible device, but the chipset itself. So there was no hope for me to restore the SE without the program sigmatel used to upload a new firmware and the actual fireware itself.

In other words, I had a BRICKED SE after the update (or more like the stupid buggy updater bricked my SE). No firmware, no display, no nothing. Just a dead piece of PVC, silicone and rosin.

But your case,

It seems that you got lucky and semi-bricked your SE. Semi-bricked meaning that you still have a partial firmware(though still unusable) on your device. At least that’ll solve people with semi-bricked SEs now.

Thanks for the info.

SkyL

Thanks for letting us know. I started with your method and it helped me get mine working again :slight_smile:

The whole mess was created when using the Sansa firmware updater. My Sansa Exress 1GB has been “stable” for over a year now and I was hoping they had finally added the ability to search your songs by the FILENAME… So I figured I might as well give it a try. I copied my songs to my hdd and let it rip. I was careful not to get anything else running and knew something was up when it hit 50% and stayed there for about 15 minutes without moving. I went ahead and took it out.

Then it showed REFRESHING DATABASE and the BATTERY was on the wrong side and cut off. It also stopped being recognized as a Sansa Express and instead showed as the dreaded " STMP3600 " I followed these steps…

• Plug in your device.
  • Open Device Manager. Find your Sansa Express under Portable Devices. Right click. Update driver.
  • Select: No, not this time, Next.
  • Select: Install from a list or specific location (Advanced), Next.
  • Select: Don’t Search. I will choose the driver to install, Next.
  • Be sure to check the box beside Show compatible hardware.
  • Highlight USB Mass Storage Device, Next.

(***)Here’s where I had to change it up a bit. It also showed MPD Device. I went ahead and double clicked the USB Mass Storage Device. It then showed as generic USB stick. I started up the Sansa Firmware Updater (1.083) and it completed this time. After removing the Sansa it now refreshed the database in a few seconds and came up with the familar screen.

I am glade to have it working again, but at the same time I have given more serious thought to buying a different player. For a split second when this was almost certainly dead – it felt good to be free from it :stuck_out_tongue: I think that should be a clue that I need a different player. I was one of the original people to tell everyone this was an iPod killer and how through firmware they would fix all the bugs and allow a better file browser that doesn’t force you to use tags. That never happened.

That being said, what would you guys recommend if I want to avoid an iPod or Sansa Express? I would like a recorder (44.1 and the ability to record from a line-in would be nice), FM, SDHC card support with short refreshing time, drag&drop support, playing mp3s based on filenames and not tags.

-SpooNMan

The firmware updater reformats the internal memory on the device.  If something glitches during that process, the internal memory may be corrupted.  The recovery device STMP3600 drivers will allow the device to be reformatted.  Follow the “how to unbrick the Express” thread for more information on techniques to recover.  A net connection is needed to download the STMP3600 drivers, and you may wish to uninstall any drivers which show up for the express.  They’ll be reinstalled automatically when the thing is working properly, but may get in the way of restoration.

Changing the drivers to MSC mode may also allow reformatting the internal drive.  And using a memory card also may let you get to that point, letting you use the device menu to reformat the internal memory.