Firmware missing from computer, battery low

Last night I discovered that the Sansa firmware is completely missing from my laptop.  The updater has not replaced it.  The battery on my Fuze V2 is at 31 percent.  It won’t charge any higher.  I can’t view the player in Windows Media Player or Windows Explorer.  It’s virtually dead in the water.  Is there any way I can reinstall the firmware on my laptop and recharge my Fuze completely again?

Thank you.

The firmware is in the Fuze, not on your computer. Your computer uses the basic Windows USB connection to connect in MSC mode or the USB connection in Windows Media Player (10 or above) to connect in MTP mode. 

Look at Settings/System Settings/USB mode and change it to MSC–that’s the easier connection–and try to connect.

If you can’t, my first guess would be that the cord is going bad. They can break inside, invisibly. You can get a generic replacement at Amazon for a few bucks and try it.

http://www.amazon.com/Data-SYNC-Cable-Sandisk-Sansa/dp/B002F6RYKQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367696171&sr=8-1&keywords=sansa+fuze+sync

Like every rechargeable battery, the Fuze battery will eventually wear out. It’s possible yours is at that stage and it’s time to look for a new player. But it’s worth a few bucks to see if a new cord revives it.

Also, you might as well uninstall the Updater. There won’t be any more updates, so you’re just slowing down your computer startup to load it.

If the firmware on your Fuze is 1.02.31 or 2.03.33, that’s the final firmware. You can look in Settings/System Settings/Info.

If not, when you are able to connect again, follow the instructions for a manual update in this thread.

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Sansa-Fuze/Sansa-Fuze-Firmware-Update-01-02-31-amp-02-03-33/td-p/139175

Download the All Regions software for your unit (1 and 2 are different hardware), unzip it, drag it over to the Fuze driveletter, and it wil update after you disconnect.

And just to add to what B-R has said, the firmware has nothing to do with the charging (or lack of it) on any player. Laptops can sometimes be problematic in charging a device through its USB ports. Remember the prime directive of a laptop is to conserve energy (ie: battery power). If your laptop is not plugged into an AC outlet, I wouldn’t be surprised if it doesn’t put out enough power to charge an external device. Sometimes they don’t even when plugged in.

I would try a desktop, if available and/or an AC-USB charging device (like that for a cell phone) to determine whether there is a defect in the charging system or battery of the player.

I changed the setting to MSC as recommended. 

My laptop recharged the player. I keep it plugged in with a green charger except when I travel. I’ve never had a problem recharging my player until last week.

Sansa shows up in Windows Explorer, but NOT the content. The content shows up as empty.  However, if I look at the list on the player, it’s all here.  The player does NOT show in Windows Media Player, either, as it used to.  I can’t view the contents, remove any or add any. I used to be able to do all this.  It’s only partially fixed.  I’ve had NO problems with this at all until last week.  It’s almost 3 years old.  Why can’t I see anything?

@djwinchell wrote:

Why can’t I see anything?

Because apparently you added your files while it was in MTP (or Auto Defect) mode. Your computer cannot see the files unless the player is connected in the same mode as it was when the files were transferred.

@djwinchell wrote:

My laptop recharged the player. I keep it plugged in with a green charger except when I travel.  I’ve never had a problem recharging my player until last week.

Probably not a real good idea.

In other words, go back to Settings/System Settings/USB Mode and switch to MTP. And say hello to your files again.

:laughing:

What is the point of criticizing me without educating me? 

No, thank you.  I’d just like to completely fix my MP3 player.  Backup is NOT the issue.

It would be nice if you could give me the rest of the answer.  I will find the answer myself.

I think Tapeworm posted that picture as a joke, in responce to what Black-Rectangle had said on the post above, specifically when he said “say hello to your files again”. Try switching to MTP mode as he said. If you can’t see your files in that mode, you should hopefully be able to fix is by reinstalling Windows Media Player. If not, there’s something wrong with your computer. Perhaps you could borrow a Windows-based maching from a friend.

Once you get to a point where you can see your files, copy them unto the computer. Then, delete them off the player, and rt disconnect. Change the USB mode to MSC, and recopy. At which point, I would leave the player on MSC until pigs start flaying.:stuck_out_tongue: That way, you will never need to worry about MTP again unless you buy music or audiobooks that with DRM protection (most music providers don’t use this technology; audiobook providers usually do, though).

@halonachos117 wrote:

I think Tapeworm posted that picture as a joke, in responce to what Black-Rectangle had said on the post above, specifically when he said “say hello to your files again”.

:smiley:

@halonachos117 wrote:

I think Tapeworm posted that picture as a joke, in responce to what Black-Rectangle had said on the post above, specifically when he said “say hello to your files again”.

There’re 3 possibilities, you could have it tried.

Possibility 1:
In some cases,people just set a protective valve value for the battery,like say only charge the battery when the power is under 10%.

Can you check it out?

Possibility 2:
Your charger is defective.
It’s not a total failure issue, only the built-in chipset is compromised, so you cannot get the correct voltage your laptop needed.
Your laptop will refuse to accept the charger in this condition.

Possibility 3:
Your battery is defective.