files over 4gb

hello , 

i have just purchsed the sandisk wireless connect 32 gb

i tries to tranfer a flie over 4gb and it failed

aftrer that i saw in the forum that it does not support ntfs . why it doesnt support it??

why am i not allowed to watch a blu-ray movie on my tablet/phone?

what can i do ???

thank you.

the 16 and 32 GB Wireless flash drives only support FAT32 file system. The FAT 32 file system does not support files larger than 4GB so honestly there is nothing you can do to have a file larger than 4GB work on the device you ahve. You can convert the file to a MP4 which will reduce the size of the file but will not be able to use a full bluray without converting.

the 64GB Wireless flash drive supports exFAT which supports files larger than 4GB you could also return the 32GB and go with the 64. 

I dont know how much it cost where you live. But i live in israel and the difference between 32and 64 is about 45 $ and its way to expensive for the option of a larger file. I think in the year 2014 it should be elemntry that a dok will support ntsc or exfat. Its a shame that a company like sandisk (that i loved and owned in the past a sansa disk mp3 player) does not realize it.

@amossi wrote:

I dont know how much it cost where you live. But i live in israel and the difference between 32and 64 is about 45 $ and its way to expensive for the option of a larger file. I think in the year 2014 it should be elemntry that a dok will support ntsc or exfat. Its a shame that a company like sandisk (that i loved and owned in the past a sansa disk mp3 player) does not realize it.

It’s not a SanDisk issue; it’s a Windows FAT32 issue. All flash drives, regardless of manufacturer are the same. They (32GB and less) are all formatted to FAT32

But all flash drives can be formatted to ntsc or exfat. The problem is with sandisk software app that does not recognized ntsc or exfat only fat32. You need to realese an update for your moblie app or flash drive firmware. You cannot ignore thousanths of people.

@amossi wrote:

But all flash drives can be formatted to ntsc or exfat.

Yes, they CAN be but they aren’t. They are formatted to FAT32 from ALL manufacturer’s factories for a reason. Because this is the most universal and efficient format for all devices that use (32GB and under) memory cards.

As stated earlier, this is how the wireless flash drives are designed. They won’t work with NTFS or exFAT.

I understand very well what you talking about.

BUT ,sandisk realeses a wireless flash drive that can transfer files and proud of streaming movies for a few devices together in the same time. CANT they think out of the box for a sec and say “ok,the flash drive comes with fat32 as the rest if the dok out there. Lets be a little different and AT LEAST realese a patch or update that will support ntsc or exfat on the SOFTWARE” 

I still dont understand why is it so hard to update the software to match ntsc or exfat?? I am not asking something strange or weird. Am i??

it is not a software issue. the controller used in the 16 and 32 GB devices do not support it. a different controller is used in the 64GB device. 

1 Like

What is this controller? Is it located on the flash drive itself or on the card? Is it built in? plz share some light on the matter.

it is part of the flash drive  itself. to be more persis the reader since the WFD is actually a micro SD reader. All USB drives, SSD, cards etc have controlelrs that manage the flash and other functions like ECC (error correction code), wear leveling etc. 

Thank you for the answer.again , Its a huge disappoitment to me. It sure will make me think again in the future to purches a sandisk dok that is dedicated for file streaming and transfer. But again thank you for the explenation.

Hi. I thought modern day micro sd cards have the controller built into the card it self ?

the card does have a controller built in that manages the flash and functions like wear leveling and ECC. The WFD is a reader which has a controller that manages the WIFI chip and other functions of the reader. 

So what will happen if I try to install the 64gig firmware update on my WFD ? Has it been tried ? I think I might give it ago to see what happens…

The release notes state pretty clearly the FW are not interchangeable. From what i understand the FW will not install if you do not have the correct version. 

I think that the hardware in the 16gb WFD and 32gb WFD is the same as the 64gb WFD, and its just the firmware that is different. There for if I install the 64gb firmware onto my 16gb version I will then be able to use sdxc cards that are formatted to exfat. Sandisk might have done this so customers will have to buy the premium version and not do the cheaper option of getting a 16gb WFD and changing the micro sd for a 64/128 gb micro sd. Doing this would be cheaper.

the hardware is not the same. The controller in the 64GB is actually different.